OT: Haulin' with the 'gate down...Was Trucks

One caution about hauling lumber that is longer than the truck bed by leaving the tailgate down.

I did this once. Had about thirty carefully selected, straight KD twobys in the PU. Lashed those babies in with lots of rope and trucker's hitches. They weren't going anywhere.

Came to a stoplight and I'm in the left of three lanes. An eighth mile ahead I need to be in the right lane to get on the interstate. No problem, I'll just out drag the other two cars and change lanes. Light goes green and I take off.

In the coefficient of friction v. acceleration contest, acceleration wins and a bunch of twobys start dropping on the street. So I slam on the brakes and scoot what's left of them back into the truck.

Now to make a U-turn I have to go under the interstate to the next light and turn around. As I do I can see in the rearview that some good Samaritans have parked their truck on the side of the road and are dragging the lumber out of the traffic lanes. Whew, I can relax.

When I finally get back to the scene, the "good Samaritans" have loaded my lumber in their truck and left the scene.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Tue, Mar 8, 2005, 1:34pm (EST-2) n7ws_@*yahoo.com (Wes=A0Stewart) laments: When I finally get back to the scene, the "good Samaritans" have loaded my lumber in their truck and left the scene.

On the bright side, they got a nice gloat out of it. LOL

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

I watched this happen at a traffic light. Guy emptied the bed of his jacked up Ram of a whole stack of deck materials, (2x's and 1x's). They landed in the intersection in a perfect pile just like they were in the bed. I stopped laughing long enough to get out and help a bunch of people help him reload it all.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

lucky for me I have backroads where I can take my time (and do)...love it better in the NYC area where the BMW/Lexus/Accuras get the plywood/lumber/shower stalls/you name it tied to the roof, drive like they usually do (picture a donkey) and then learn all about the aerodynamics of flight (they should pay a little more attention to the Discovery Channel). Good shopping (cheap) along most roads anywhere near a HD around here if you have ever played the video game Frogger.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Highland Pairos responds:

up Ram of a whole stack of deck materials, (2x's and 1x's). They landed in the intersection in a perfect pile just like they were in the bed. I stopped laughing long enough to get out and help a bunch of people help him reload it all.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I always placed a couple 2x's or something across the back end (cross-wise, wheel to wheel, if you will) to lift the ends of the lumber/ply hanging beyond the tailgate. Seemed to help with the "sliding out the back" issue. First time I did this the guy at 84L told me about the trick and swore it would work. I was wary since we only lifted the height of maybe a couple 2x's. I had quite a load, and I didn't drag race, but it did/does seem to help.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

The rougher surface adds friction over the painted, relatively slick bed, plus even a slight upward angle is counteracting gravity-force a little.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I think your wood has been found in the wreck. sounds like the good samaritans just thought they got lucky and didn't mean to screw you. Hopefully you can connect. W

Reply to
hikinandbikin

Um. Who wants to tell 'im...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"Wes Stewart" spewed:

mile ahead I need to be in the right lane to get on the interstate. No problem, I'll just out drag the other two cars and change lanes. Light goes green and I take off. <

I really hope this is a troll.

If not, I don't feel sorry at all about the loss of your lumber.

You deserved it.

Your stupidity in dragging the other two cars was beyond belief.

You have to make a right exit from the left lane in 1/8 mile? So you "drag" the other cars?

With an essentially unsecured load, to boot?

Obviously, those babies were going somewhere.

Gus

Reply to
Gus

Not me [g]

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Sorry it's real

Why thanks.

"Dragging" was a poor choice of words. Had I been in my 320 hp Camaro SS instead of my lumbering (no pun intended) PU *then* it would have been dragging.

No, I left two half-asleep bozos snoozing at the light while I started rolling as the light turned green. The distance was an estimate, I think it's prolly closer to 1/4 mile.

No, I said earlier I had lots of rope and some tight hitches. The problem was the 2bys were very straight and very smooth. It only takes one leaving the middle of the bundle to release *all* of the tension.

No, they did go anywhere; that's the problem. They stayed behind while the truck went someplace.

ps. Fuck you, Gus.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

So did Wes, as he didn't get a visit from a cop wanting to talk about improperly secured loads, vehicle damage, and witness accounts.

DAMHIKT, but it wasn't me.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

You're a real fine example of the species there, Wes.

Gus is absolutely right.

Reply to
Steve Decker

You, sir, are swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Be proud of your stupidity and carelessness, it's all you've got, Wes.

Reply to
Eradicate Sampson

Perhaps. I tried to cancel the foregoing post immediately after sending it. Clearly, that didn't happen and I apologize to the group and to Gus in particular. I suppose I could blame it on the pain meds I'm taking but I will not take that out. My last comment was uncalled for.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Wed, Mar 9, 2005, 8:32pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Dave=A0Hinz) wants to know: Um. Who wants to tell 'im...

Nah, it's all catch and release anyway, so let's not.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Wed, Mar 9, 2005, 1:57pm (EST-2) n7ws_@*yahoo.com (Wes=A0Stewart) summed it up, all so delicately, and eloquently, with:

ps. Fuck you, Gus.

ROTFLMAO

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Ohmygawd! I can't believe you said that in a public forum... I had a Vega GT wagon years and years and years ago, but least it twernt no Mustang II...

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Now wait a minute! I had a '74 Mustang II and it was an absolute kick in the pants. It had a crank open sunroof and my best buddy and I would go down by the beach and sit on the roof with our legs inside and enjoy the tunes and a cool beverage while scoping the "scenery". It was easy on gas and handled nicely. Overall it was one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned. Sold it to go to college.

OWWR (sort of) - it had a fake wood dash.

Reply to
Tim Douglass