OT: Giving in

Well, you could go down the "I'm old and "I'm rich. I can do anything!", road.
<http://time.com/5019182/george-hw-bush-groping-allegation/
On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 17:23:48 -0600

wow and you never asked here first what to buy and where and what response times and resolution and which connector technology or which brand or how much to spend
might be old age for sure but maybe not bad thing
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 17:03:05 -0800, Electric Comet

No need to ask when you are sure and can read specs and understand them. Also the mortgage is paid, as are the balances on the credit cards, no auto payment.

FWIW, I was thinking about a bigger monitor but when I looked at the prices there wasn't that much difference between 27 inch "monitor" and a 40" 4K TV. And the TV works just fine as a monitor.
On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 22:17:42 -0500, J. Clarke

Agreed, but then you can do like a 85 inch screen too.
On 1/9/2018 1:07 PM, Markem wrote:

TOO big does not work so well, as it requires too much head movement. Or requires sitting further away, which kind of defeats the purpose of a larger screen.
For computer use, a TV in the 40"-50" range works better. Get a 4K UHD model (3840x2160 pixels) and you have the equivalent of four 20"-25" HD (1920x1080) monitors. Makes it easy to use multiple windows at once, or just increase the overall font size so that I do not need my usual reading glasses. Look for a model with even lighting at low brightness or you'll eyes will tire quickly.
I use a 50", and find it is almost too big, as the upper part of the screen is a little too high for comfort. I either use smaller windows on the bottom, or have to lean back to read the top. It is kind of nice for reading the digital edition of the local newspaper, leaning back in the desk chair, feet up, with my morning coffee. I can easily read two facing pages, each of which is about 50% bigger than the print edition.

With an 85 inch a wireless keyboard and mouse, you can hang in your Lazy boy across your 24 foot living room. ;)

My arms aren't long enough for the touch screen. ;-)

Nifty. Nice view now?
About May of last year I gave in to my other half nudging me on a good local deal and I too got a new monitor. I now have a 43" monitor! It took some time for me to get used to it (it's huge on my desk) but now I'm loving it. I got a new AppletV for it and can flip over and watch all kinds of 4k video. Aging like this I can handle. ;)

Right? I try to keep myself in check but I know a few who just damn near snarl at everything and everyone. They say cranky keeps you alive.

On 1/9/2018 10:22 AM, Casper wrote:

If you keep the clutter from around your monitor it will make your monitor look bigger. Same goes if you want your deck to look bigger. ;~)

Did you really mean to type deck? ;-)
On 1/9/2018 6:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

On 1/10/2018 10:48 AM, Leon wrote:

Gotta keep the lawn mowed.

Been thinking about a 60 inch deck actually.

Wow! I guess you don't have to worry about keeping the lawn trimmed.
On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 21:32:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

It is 3 hours with a 50 inch deck, so trimming is optional.
On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:07:45 AM UTC-5, Markem wrote:

te:

far

good

It

t now

atch

.

She was heard to say "Ouch!"
On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 04:04:46 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

On 1/7/2018 4:23 PM, Markem wrote: > ay I gave in to getting older, I bought a 28 inch monitor. I > waited to long, now I can read without leaning foward pulling my > glasses down so I can read with the right eye. (near sighted and far > sighted) > > Grumpy at the admission of this aging thing.
I hear you. I'm not sure whether to feel cheated or blessed myself. Most of my life I had better than normal vision. Both clarity and speed. I could pick out an animal on a hillside a mile away. I could read street signs two or three streets away. I had issues with color because I could see variances in shade others couldn't, and I had incredible night vison. It only took me 5 minutes to adjust instead of 20 and I could navigate across the desert by starlight easily on a clear night.
At about age 40-42 I started needing reading glasses. Now at almost 52 I wear trifocals because I can't get used to progressives. I guess for the first half of my life I was blessed in that regard, but now I feel particularly frustrated to have to wear glasses. I guess every person's journey has its tough things to deal with.
Atleast I still have decent night vision, but it does take longer to adjust now. I can still run the river at night in my boat by starlight as long as some moron in a pontoon boat doesn't light me up with his spotlight. I have been known to scream profanities at somebody tied off catfishing as I blow by because they thought it was a good idea to blast me with a million candle power beam.

I have always had a difference in my eyes, far sighted in the left, near in the right. So glasses are a extension of me, the left is now 20/20, so could fix the right but I would then need readers. Also with "good vision" I loose medical coverage, so no lasik for me. Night vision is still good, hearing good despite tinnitus. Most thing I hurt when younger are reminding me from time to time.