OT: Giving in

TOO big does not work so well, as it requires too much head movement. Or requires sitting further away, which kind of defeats the purpose of a larger screen.

For computer use, a TV in the 40"-50" range works better. Get a 4K UHD model (3840x2160 pixels) and you have the equivalent of four 20"-25" HD (1920x1080) monitors. Makes it easy to use multiple windows at once, or just increase the overall font size so that I do not need my usual reading glasses. Look for a model with even lighting at low brightness or you'll eyes will tire quickly.

I use a 50", and find it is almost too big, as the upper part of the screen is a little too high for comfort. I either use smaller windows on the bottom, or have to lean back to read the top. It is kind of nice for reading the digital edition of the local newspaper, leaning back in the desk chair, feet up, with my morning coffee. I can easily read two facing pages, each of which is about 50% bigger than the print edition.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

With an 85 inch a wireless keyboard and mouse, you can hang in your Lazy boy across your 24 foot living room. ;)

Reply to
Markem

I have always had a difference in my eyes, far sighted in the left, near in the right. So glasses are a extension of me, the left is now

20/20, so could fix the right but I would then need readers. Also with "good vision" I loose medical coverage, so no lasik for me. Night vision is still good, hearing good despite tinnitus. Most thing I hurt when younger are reminding me from time to time.
Reply to
Markem

Did you really mean to type deck? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Update: No freezing rain on the way in, Monday morning. Didn't start until 8-9:00. I'm OK, though majorly hung over today (I'd forgotten what that felt like). I didn't have to worry about waiting the few hours waiting for the vein to close. I was out the entire time (plus an hour). I woke up in a hospital room, so it didn't take long to figure out that they were keeping me overnight (so missed the game traffic, too). I'll take the two little wins.

Reply to
krw

Well, you could go down the "I'm old and "I'm rich. I can do anything!", road.

krw

My arms aren't long enough for the touch screen. ;-)

Reply to
krw

See? Told ya! ;-)

Keep us updated.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reply to
Leon

Gotta keep the lawn mowed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ya, you did. ;-) That makes 2 and 2 overnighters. The others they warned us to take an overnight bag.

Thanks. The procedure didn't work (the doc said it was likely), so I'm back were I started. Not sure where to go from here.

Reply to
krw

Best of luck to you. One of my childhood friends (met nearly 50 years ago! ) has that same procedure about every 18 months for about 6 years. It is t raumatic (I can't imagine)even though they tell him they do it all the time . Eventually, they got him back in time.

However, hard head wouldn't follow the doctor's advice. He wouldn't exercis e, wouldn't lose weight, and wouldn't eat healthy foods. Now he has a pace maker. Worse, his cardiologist used to be my Mom's. He told me that if my boy had followed his advice for the last few years he probably wouldn't ha ve needed but a couple "restarts" and the other problems could have been ma naged with meds.

Like I said, good luck! Follow the Dr.'s orders (unlike my boneheaded frie nd) and hopefully all will be well soon.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks. The doc didn't really expect this to work this time. He said he'd try again as long as I understood that it was a long-shot. It's not the classical A-Fib, rather A-Flutter on the opposite side (left) side, likely caused by the MAZE procedure[*] I had three years ago.

I've lost a lot of weight and walk 10-15 miles a day (6-7 on a treadmill). The problem with the meds is that they lower my pulse to a dangerous point. Even today I was down around 42 for a while.

They did a cardioversion ("restart") so I'm back in rhythm right now but he doesn't expect it to stay in rhythm long. The next step is a pacemaker. They can either just use a pacemaker to raise the "floor" rate and put me back on the anti-arrhythmic drugs (forever) or go in and kill the AV node (the tissue that conducts the pacing pulse from the atria to the ventricles) and replace it with a 2-wire pacemaker. No going back from that one.

Thanks! (to everyone) I'm trying but I've been going down this road

11 years already. [*]
Reply to
krw

Been thinking about a 60 inch deck actually.

Reply to
Markem

Wow! I guess you don't have to worry about keeping the lawn trimmed.

Reply to
krw

It is 3 hours with a 50 inch deck, so trimming is optional.

Reply to
Markem

INTERESTING link. Thanks for that. Sounds like you are very well versed in what is going on... guess I am too used to my hard headed buddy.

On the bright side for him, when they arrived at the end of less invasive procedures and he had his pacemaker installed, it changed his life. He went back to work, has a lot more energy and feels better all day long.

Once more, good luck!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

te:

She was heard to say "Ouch!"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I try to educate myself on what they're about to do to me. ;-) I told the heart surgeon, no I don't want to know the details of what you're going to cut but I want to know _everything_ about what I can expect, and alternatives (though he's the one who sold me on the MAZE procedure).

I think I'm coming to that conclusion, too, but I have to do more talking with the "electrician" [*]

Thanks again.

[*] My cardiologist explained that if I were a house, he'd be a plumber and the electro physiologist (a specialty of cardiology) would be the electrician.

Reply to
krw