OT Ephedra to be banned

Ahh, crank is methamphetamine. Didn't know that. sorry. I thought you meant crack.

Your right. :)

Reply to
stoutman

ephedra has been around as long as tobacco....

Reply to
Bridger

I had to admire a guy in a SUV on the Washington DC beltway one day. He managed to pass me at about 80 mph, cell phone in one hand, flashing the international symbol of disrespect at me with the other. He was probably steering with his knee but I'll be he thought he was steering with his ____ .

Another time traffic was moving in all 4 lanes but basically all were moving at the same average rate. I was behind a lady who was apparently late for something. After a few miles of her driving I wanted *so bad* to force her off the road and ask what the old record for lane changes was. Unlike many others I've observed, at least she used the turning signals. However, they weren't signals "asking permission," they were indicators of impending action no matter what was happening in the other lanes. ;-) It was very interesting to watch.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Ephedrine is not being banned, ephedra is. You can still buy ephedrine OTC.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I meant ephedra not ephedrine. From my previous posts in this thread you might have come to the conclusion that I meant ephedra. I get the two mixed up because the active constituents in ephedra are pseudoephedrine and ephedrine.

Reply to
stoutman

How about:

2) Mandatory education.

Including woodworking, of course.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I do not think that the FDA had anything to do with the banning of marijuana.

But if they did, I'd like to know how you know.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Shhhh!

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I don't think you are making a proper comparison since your references to tobacco seem to be more targeted to the act of smoking. Go roll up some Ephedra in a papers, smoke 10 or more of them a day, and see how long you live. Smoking anything, not just tobacco, is bad for you.

As an alternate comparison, popping a few small tobacco pills every day my be safer than popping a few ephedra pills a day. I don't really know. The point is you are comparing smoking to herbal supplements that are generally taken orally. I can't remember the last time I smoked my vitamins although that might not be a bad idea. ;)

Reply to
David P

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:01:18 GMT, "stoutman" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

snip

yup,,,right you are!

HOWEVER!

the drug in question and the one being "banned" is not pure, or "real" ephedra...its actually synthesized, and its called "pseudoephedrine"

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:47:35 GMT, "Ron A" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

you don't think tobacco is regulated? guess again!

gotta be 18 in most states to purchase, and 21 in others. its against the law to smoke indoors in many places, including some states...

if that isn't "regulated" i don't know what is!

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:10:29 GMT, "stoutman" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

alcohol and its related actions kill more than that,,, we tried prohibition once, it don't work! and it don't work now for the "drug" problem! and it wont work for this either.

take a childs toy away, and the child thinks about nothing but the lost toy,,,,

Traves

neither in moderation

snip

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On 30 Dec 2003 19:28:11 -0500, DJ Delorie Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

hell lets ban that too,.. it burns people in drivethroughs, makes you crave more, and tastes silly with cream and sugar,,,come to think of it, lets ban that too!,,, cream and sugar kills thousands every year because people are using it to supply their obesity habits.

what ever happened to personal responsibility?!!?!?

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 04:24:15 GMT, "David P" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

i smoked a bowl of flintstones chewables once...harsh man,,i think i'll stick to winstons

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:39:28 -0600, "Swingman" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

this aint news!

hehe

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

stoutman responds:

Wrong. Crack is coke based. Crank is methamphetamine.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

(snip) > Crank is methamphetamine

Didn't I correct my self on this? Look at my post above.

Oh, and cocaine = coke

Reply to
stoutman

The one being banned is the herb, ephedra also called Mau Haung.

(snip) >its actually synthesized, and its called "pseudoephedrine"

Your right, pseudoephedrine is synthesized, it's also a natural constituent in ephedra (Mau Haung), along with ephedrine. And Yes it is ephedra (Mau Haung) that is being banned. Read the news or watch CNN.

pseudoephedrine is sinply the threo racemate of ephedrine and it is not being banned. Its also called pseuophed (decongestant).

Reply to
stoutman

My point is the government is banning the USE (smoke, chew, lick, eat, swallow, stick in rectum, it doesn't matter) of a PLANT when another PLANT (tobacco) does more harm to people.

Think...

Reply to
stoutman