Page 3 of 3
https://groups.google.com/forum /#!searchin/rec.woodworking/subpanel
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"Morgans" wrote:

---------------------------------------------- Somebody had it right.
Mike Marlow maybe.
A sub panel requires an insulated ground buss as well as an insulated neutral buss.
In addition, a sub panel must be able to disconnect all power under it's control in a maximum of six (6) motions of the hand; otherwise known as the six (6) hand rule.
If more than (6) motions are required to disconnect all branches, then a main c'bkr is required.
SFWIW, a branch c'bkr located in the main panel and feeding the sub panel is also required.
The bonding strap located in the sub panel shall be connected to the insulated ground buss.
The sub panel shall be fed by four (4) conductors (L1, L2, N and G) from the main panel.
The neutral buss and ground buss in the main panel do not have to be insulated but often are.
The bonding strap located in the main panel shall be connected to the ground buss.
The neutral buss and ground buss in the main panel are tied together as well as the earth ground conductor which connects to the earth ground rod driven into the earth at the service point.
The above meets code or did when I was in the business.
Nothing else is required.
Lew
On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 09:24:15 -0400, "Morgans"

I'm confused by all this, but assuming your feeding your sub panel with three conductors and a ground sized for the OCD then the only reason I can think of for the #6 is that its a separate building and he wants a grounding system which varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. #6 being the largest size required to a grounding rod.
MikeM