OT - Deer hunting success, Part II

SWMBO shot a good-size doe this morning. Field-dressed weight 111 pounds.

Guess we won't have to buy any beef at the grocery this year.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:k8bko1$j69$1@dont- email.me:

It's all in the preparation. If you like spicy food (not necessarily *hot* spicy), then venison is just the ticket, substituted for goat or lamb in Middle Eastern or Indian recipes. It's pretty good on the grill, too, mesquite-smoked and cooked really rare. We substitute it for beef in a lot of dishes, too. You can use ground venison just about anywhere you'd use ground beef. The only real exception is hamburger patties: there's just not enough fat in venison to hold them together.

I'm pretty fond of dead cow too, but I'm even more fond of staying alive, considering my family history of heart disease (which includes a grandfather who died at 64, and an uncle who had his first(!) heart attack at 39). I've eaten beef maybe five times in the last year, and my total cholesterol is in the 150s.

Reply to
Doug Miller

spicy), then venison is

recipes. It's pretty

it for beef in

fat in venison to

I have known butchers to add beef fat to the venison while grinding deer-burger. I don't know any details.

considering my

and an uncle

the last year, and

Reply to
Bill

Doug Miller wrote in news:XnsA10FBC20E7C31dougmilmaccom@88.198.244.100:

*snip*

The ones I have had have cooked up just fine, but usually split into two or three pieces. Going to a heavier piece of bread supports the sandwich just fine.

I used some ground venison in spaghetti once, and there was a definate taste difference. It was different, but still good.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Aw-right!

I bought a Crossman break-barrel pellet gun this evening. (And 6000 rounds of ammo)

We have a squirrel getting into the attic. I asked him politely to relocate or pay rent.

No rent. He's still here.

So...

Reply to
Richard

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

@dont-

spicy), then venison is

recipes. It's pretty

it for beef in

fat in venison to

The place we take our deer to will do that if we ask.

We don't ask.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Many years ago I chased a squirrel out of the loft and blocked the access hole. Next time I went up there I found the bodies of three baby squirrels.

Reply to
Bob Martin

That's three less fancy rats chewing up the house...

Reply to
Richard