OT, Debit card

Yes it does and the assholes can just take your money for "suspicion"

-MIKE-

I keep two checking accounts, I keep the balance down on the one associated with the debit card. Limits the amount of damage anyone could do, plus it doesn't have an allowance for overdraft.

I use the CC for online and a couple of times a year report it lost to generate a new number. I also keep the credit limit low on it, even though I wouldn't be responsible for unauthorized charges.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

In news:5200d076$0$35059$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com, Puckdropper belched:

your karma credits just increased

Reply to
ChairMan

------------------------------------------------------ Mikey likes it; however, given my limitation these days of sometimes not being able to recover hard copy, think I'll scan that page in memory as a pdf file in an appropriate folder.

If all else fails, can do a "search" of all the drives to retrieve the file.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you scan a hard copy document, and create a PDF file, it will not be searchable. It is the same as making a PDF of a picture of your wife, there is no text to search. As I understand in working with genealogical document, you can create a searchable database for the image PDF document by doing and OCR of the document.

If you print a PDF document from a word processor, the text is maintained as text in the PDF document, and is searchable.

You could search your hard drive for the file name but I forget file name so for me that would not work.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Now I am really confused. You earn $1000 per year from charges but a majority of your spending is done so with cash, you are still charging a load each year considering that you prefer to pay cash. I assume you define cash as strictly government issued currency, not a check. Car dealerships and for that matter any business that receives cash payments, government currency, in excess of $10,000 are required to report that transaction to the government. This is a burden for the business to provide extra documentation. Regardless your purchase of an automobile is documented with the state government no matter how you pay for it.

Reply to
Leon

That's a good solution. A better solution is to use cash.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

------------------------------------------------------ Lew Hodgett wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- "Keith Nuttle" wrote:

------------------------------------------------- That's me.

I use a folder named JUNK to keep various files.

I don't even try to remember a lot of file names.

Tracking down a specific file from among 20-30 files in the JUNK folder is NBD, at least not yet.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

PDF files _can_ have an underlaying text layer that IS searchable.

Reply to
Richard

Your post got me thinking about how and why I spend with what, I'll admit that some of the division is just force of habit. It has a lot to do with who I'm paying.

Even though I prefer to use cash some years it isn't predominate method, just depends on what I am up to and how much is on hand.

household, small items, groceries-currency or debit

online or large items from large businesses- credit card

independent contractors or small businesses- currency always

Should I decide I want a car, truck, or a sawstop I save the money for that purpose and when I have enough I make the purchase, depends on where the purchase is made how it's paid for.

I write very few checks 2-3 a month.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Just make sure you hide it so when they break in they won't find all your numbers. But most likely you'll forget where it is too.

Reply to
Mike M

----------------------------------------------------- Scan your cards and save as a pdf file named "MyPlasticCards" and save in a folder named "Junk" located on the root directory.

Worked for me.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:5202c6fb$0$58739 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Just be sure to remove the file (better to format the disk) before you get rid of the computer. (Even better would be to remove the disk and keep it, but formatting will stop the curious and tempted from accessing the file.)

A folder named "Junk" would be one of the places I'd look with interest when checking out a new used computer.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

-------------------------------------------- Run Fdisk before you dump the puter.

Problem solved.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I believe for a determined hacker just formating the disk will not remove the files, only delete the information as to thier location.

If you want to remove the files you must use one of the scurbber programs, like the one in Mcafee Total Protecton called Shredde.

These programs consecutively write nonsense to he file location so the information can not be reconstructed.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Ok, I'll share my way with you guys...

c:\! (Exclamation marks are often pronounced "bang")

Under that are:

c:\!\Accounts\(with a folder for each account)

c:\!\Maps

c:\!\Medical

c:\!\Home

c:\!\cars\(etc)

The ! sorts to the top of an ASCII list, so it's possible to have several different segments of sorted folder (and file) names inside a single folder.

C:\! !\whatever will float to the top

c:\!!\something comes next

c:\!\ after that

and then c:\ordinary file names