OT Cad software

This has been discussed and cussed before.

Have used Sketch Up, but find it a little lacking, (operator error???) Google gives too many options, when your not sure what your looking at. I've used AutoCad years ago.

CorelDraw Graphics 3X? TurboCad 14? What do you guys/gals use?

For general shop/furniture and home use. Signs. Maybe floor plans and landscape. Don't want to out grow it in 2-3 years.

Thanks.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

"Rick Samuel" wrote

I'm partial to AutoSketch only because it took the place of/is the same program as QuickCAD, once the subject of a magazine article about its suitability to woodworking, although I used it long before that.

Once a $50 program, it now runs about $120, IIRC.

The program is about as intuitive as they get, and has a plus in that it will open and let you manipulate AutoCAD files.

'em ...

Reply to
Swingman

I use thermwoods e-cabinets software. I like it pretty much. there are things that you have to play around with, but its decent software and the price is right.

Reply to
depictureboy

If you grab an older copy of AutoCAD, you can download the universal translator from the folks at SolidWorks. It allows you to open newer versions of ACAD drawings in older versions of the software. DWG Gateway I think...

put it out to try and undermine AutoCAD's dominance of the market and thus build business for SolidWorks.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

"Rick Samuel" wrote in news:ftfjjp$uhq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tamu.edu:

Software sampling is a process of doing searches for the software you want, downloading a bunch of programs that look like they'll work, installing them and uninstalling the ones that don't work. Some programs are just plain junk and are being installed 5 minutes later.

Watch out for illegitimate download sites. Your best option is the producer's website, as they have a stake in keeping the download clean. The next best option is somewhere like download.com or tucows.com.

I usually use CadStd. If you're familiar with mechanical drafting, you'll quickly adjust to CadStd. (Although it does have a few UI quirks. You get used to them, and find they're useful design options.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I use AutoCAD LT. It should be easy for you to learn if you have used it before. A good generic clone of AutoCAD is IntelliCAD and it is much cheaper.

Reply to
Leon

Vectorworks.

buy the features you need. Pricey but humongously powerful. (eat THAT, spellchecker!!!) Available for Mac and PC, and interestingly enough, the architects building Bill Gates' house, use it.....on a Mac...*evil snicker*

I have no idea what it costs these days, as I have crawled up the upgrade path since it was called Diehl's Graphsoft MiniCAD. I have tried and tried to do better, to no avail. Even a competitive deal from Ashlar came up short in the real world. Nice... but ultimately no cigar. When I did a few college courses to get a shingle to hang (bragging rights) in AutoCAD, I did my homework on a Mac in (what is now called Vectorworks) MiniCAD and then exported it to AutoCAD. I aced one course in 3D ( 4.0 GPA). As my business is based on selling a picture, 3D modelling is a must and Vectorworks delivers much more, for much less, than AutoCAD. AutoCAD is the most overrated piece of software on the planet. WhoTF needs 6 ways to draw a line? Don't get me wrong. AutoCAD is a deFacto industry standard, but so was VHS, 'nuff said? When it comes to 3D modelling, AutoCAD is a slug. Period. Anyone defending it has 'done his/her time' to get it to work, so they will never let go, but....

You don't need a Strad' to fiddle, but Vectorworks is brilliant. Plain and simple.

my $ 0.024.

Robatoy

I have used designcad which is not to hard to learn. I also use corel draw for most of my projects, only because its what I taught to use. Most people swear by Autocad, My brother loves it. But it is to expensive for my blood. I would check out designcad and corel darw.

Randy

randyswoodshoop

Thanks for the imput

Reply to
Rick Samuel

I use Turbocad mainly because I have had it since the olde DOS days. It is probably the most expensive software I have purchased, even thouth it only cost about $39 18 years ago...Figure upgrades from version 1 or 2 all the way up to version 15. It still works great for 2d and 3d drawings and is somewhate better than the free Sketchup in its rendering.

That being said, if i had to start over again right now, I probably would go with Sketchup.

Skip

Skip Williams

Joe....

Chiefwoodworker

"Chiefwoodworker" wrote

Although I haven't had time to really get into the meat of it, it is apparent there is much to learn at your "blog". Keep up the good work!

Reply to
Swingman

A couple have recommended Sketchup. I have the free version. Are ya'll talking about Sketchup Pro 6? The $495 one?

Do thank ya'll for your input.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

The free version should do just fine. I think the main differance is that the pro ($495) version will import/export drawings to/from other formats (autocad, etc)...

Skip

Skip Williams

Swingman,

Thanks for the feedback. I am having fun with it.

I visited your website. You shop looks great and I got an idea for a new fixture by looking through yours. I kitchen cabinets are gorgeous. SO what are you going to do now that you are getting on with life?

Joe....

Chiefwoodworker

"Chiefwoodworker" wrote

LOL ... Let more women win the chase?

;)

Reply to
Swingman

Well at 63 they can chase me down easily, but I don't see too many behind me. Hmmmm! Wonder why? But I can certainly appreciate the game as a spectator. ; "Chiefwoodworker" wrote

Reply to
Chiefwoodworker