opinions on minwax tung oil for kitchen cabinets please

Thinking about replacing the kitchen cabinets. One option is to get custom built unfinished cabinets. I am not worried about staining them but over the years the only finished that I have used that consistently turned out looking nice( no runs, no brush marks, etc) is Minwax tung oil. Will it hold up on kitchen cabinets. I was thinking one of the advantages of Minwax Tung oil would be in 10 years another coat could be added.

Opinions please?

Thanks in advance Lyle

Reply to
LYLE MOYER

My understanding is that "Tung Oil" is a thinned varnish with a little oil added, some of which may be tung. I've used it and I like it.

I'm duboious that you get a thick enuf film for kitchen cabinets. I suppose a lot of coats would cure that.

The do take a beating, and get wiped down a lot.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy

Lyle, I don't think the Minwax "tung oil" finish (which I doubt contains any real tung oil by the way) would build enough protective coating for the cabinets. Something you might try is wiping on Minwax Polyurethane. I have used it several times - I mix thinner with it - about 30 to 50%. Any normal thinner will work -paint thinner, turpentine, the oderless turpentine substitute, acetone, toulene etc. You can just wipe on a thin layer and let it dry, or wait about 10 minutes and wipe it off. The only issue is that you will need to apply several coats (at least 4 or 5 -if you don't wipe it off) to get a thick enough build up to protect the cabinets. You need to apply the coats within 24 hours of each other or you will need to sand lightly to provide "tooth" for the next coat. Like all finishes, try some scrap first to see how it works and to determine if it is the look you want. You can rub out the finish to achieve the sheen you want, but I would wait a few weeks for the finish to harden properly first. Don't try to rub it out in a couple days (DAMHINT). Triple 000 steel wool with wax will leave a satin sheen, pumice a little shinier, follow with rotten stone for a high gloss if desired.

Reply to
Larry Clinton