ooops

I was working in a house the other day and the pre-hung doors all had nickel hinges. The hinges had a bottom cap (as some hinges do) that made the top and bottom look the same. I hadn't seen this particular hinge before but didn't think anything about it. I noticed that on a couple of the hinges the bottom cap looked as if it was about to fall out (as they sometimes do) so I gave one a tap with my hammer to push it back in. It didn't slide in as I thought it would so I gave it another good whack and in it went. I went over to the other door and "fixed" it too. The next day I had to remove one of the doors to cut a hole in the jamb for a jamb switch. It turns out that the top cap is not attached to the hinge pin but instead is a threaded cap. The pin is a separate piece down inside the barrel of the hinge that you have to drive out with a punch......after you unscrew the bottom cap! Yep....the bottom cap is threaded too!

It turns out that these were some kind of special order commercial hinge. I got to replace the two hinges I "fixed". They were $30 a pair. Man was I glad I only fixed two of them!

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

Ever hear the "Dutch" screwdriver story?

Reply to
fredfighter

Oh boy. I know those hinges. About 20 years ago I did exactly the same thing. Guess it isn't smart to wander around with a hammer in your hand.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Wed, Feb 2, 2005, 11:20pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Mike) laments: =A0 I got to replace the two hinges I "fixed". They were $30 a pair.

ROTFLMAO

I'd probably have done the same thing, but it's still funny.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

No.

Okay....out with it...!

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks for the lesson, I am glad I learned from your mistake.

Reply to
Leon

Near the bottom of this article, mind the line-wrap:

fredfighter

Thank you *S*

Reply to
Robatoy

Hmmm.....you're not the first to tell me that! :-)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

I just read it. I must be Dutch!!

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

I was doing a small job a while back with a guy who was a great devotee of Norm. When I, through some mysterious set of circumstances which I cannot recall precisely at the moment, enthusiastically smacked my finger with the hammer he merely looked at me as I was hopping up and down holding my bleeding digit and asked "Did you read, understand and follow all the safety rules that came with that tool?" To which I could only reply "No, but I *am* wearing safety glasses!"

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I *know* I would have. I can see the hammer in my hands now. Ouch.

Reply to
Silvan

"if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

je

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE