Oil for air tools???

I can't find mine anywhere and it's a two hour round trip to get some. Is any other oil OK?.

Reply to
Jim
3-1 will work in a pinch

Dave

Teamcasa

Just avoid detergent oils--motor oil, iow.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Thanks Dave

I can't find that either, but I have a hot lead as to it's location.:)

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Mike Berger

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:37:42 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Jim quickly quoth:

Marvel Mystery Oil is all I've ever used.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Two hour round trip drive??? Any auto parts store would carry it. Surely there is an auto parts store within an hour. But, if you're like me from time to time and just don't want to have to put the project down to go to town, try some non-detergent motor oil, or some 3 in one oil. Both will work.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

2 hours on the freeway at the price of gas in Canada makes me avoid most trips to town. It's actually cheaper to get a courier to bring stuff to me. $14 overnight to get 2 boxes of nails for my nailer picked up and brought to me. It would cost me 2.5 hours and $15 in gas to pick them up. Then there's the side trip to Burger King.... Nope, running to town simply isn't an option.:)
Reply to
Jim

Don't want to start anything here, so PLEASE if you are actually using what you are suggesting to lubricate the seals and triggers (which I am sure everyone is) PLEASE continue to do so.

That being said, I have about 15 nail guns that see constant use. Bill the repair guy at my fastner supplier (has been off and on for 20 years) can spot any kind of oil other than pneumatic gun oil a mile away when the seals go. He says no motor oil of any kind, no hobby oil, no WD 40, no 000 weight oil... nothing with any kind of solvent. He has seen it all, and repairs guns all day long.

When we are in a pinch, he always tell me to go to the drug store and get mineral oil. When he fills my oil bottles after servicing the guns (and of course, my nail/brad/staple purchase) he has actually given me mineral oil that they buy in 5 gallon barrels to give to the field agents.

If it is benign enough to drink, it sure won't hurt those neoprene seals. And best of all, Bill doesn't bitch at me for dissolving the seals.

So another disclaimer before flaming and righteous indignation start: use what you are using now in good health if it works for you. If you only use your guns a few times a week it may not matter what you put in them...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Heavy mineral oil or the light stuff? I have plenty of the heavy variety around.

Reply to
Jim

Transmission fluid.

At least, that's what I use.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'll be making my weekly trip to the grocery and tool store in a couple of hours myself. 76 miles at 21 per gallon means keeping a bit of extra bench stock on hand and some extra soup in the pantry.

What's a "freeway?" Is that one of those roads with more than one lane each way?

Reply to
George

I use mobil's lower vis oils, either the 00-xx or the 05-xx stuff. The = synthetics usually perform better than conventional lubricants due to their tolerance of = higher temperatures. I haven't ever had a seal issue that I am aware of, but I would think = most automotive motor oils wouldn't damage neoprene. Aren't some of the oil seals in car= engines made from neoprene or something very similar?

IMHO, the biggest damage to air tools in my experience has been from = moisture condensation from the compressor that gets by the water trap(s). I use a aftermarket = oil cooler and two square muffin fans as a inter cooler before the compressed air gets = to the tank from the pump, I have a automatic moisture drain valve just beyond the inter = cooler. I have noticed a significant improvement in air tool performance and life. = However I continue to use at least one water trap minimum, usually two at the tank output. The= dryer the air supply the better everything seems to work and extracting the condensate = as far upstream toward the compressor before it gets to the tank makes a big difference = too. I got the idea from a auto body shop as one of the many things they did to make the= air supply as moisture free as possible. =20 Joe Brophy CountryTech Computer email: snipped-for-privacy@spiretech.com

Reply to
Joe Brophy

I am a little leery of this advice. 3-1 oil is a solvent. That might do some damage to your tool.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

That stuff can attack some paint finishes. Safe for o-rings and an excellent lube otherwise.

Reply to
Robatoy

Is that a GM or a Ford nailer? (Need to know whether to use F fluid or not) :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I don't remember, it has been at least 10 years since I've had to buy some.

How about the fact it is red in color?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

3 lanes each way with a radar cop every 30 miles.:) I go just under 10K OVER the 110K limit and they leave me alone. It's actually cheaper to take a slow rougher secondary road but it tales longer.
Reply to
Jim

DAMN! That means a trip to town. The heavy stuff I can buy just down the road at the drugstore.:)

Reply to
Jim