Odd OT Question: Bees wax and mice

I had a few squares of bees wax in my garage shop, but when I looked for them, they seem to have vanished completely, even the one on the lathe. There are also mice in the garage, so I wonder if they eat the stuff. Anyone know about this?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

My brother in law keeps bees, and I'm pretty sure he's told me that mice will eat the comb if they can get into a hive.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

get a cat get more bees wax

observe

make sure it is a meat eating cat and not these metro sexual cats that are afraid of rats

i mention rats because that is more likely your problem

mice are mostly 2d rats are 3d norwegian wharf rats are 6d

Reply to
Electric Comet

LOL!.....

Reply to
notbob

AFAIK, mice will eat ANY wax. You can tell mouse attacks from rat attacks by the size of the tooth marks.

Reply to
stvlcnc43

I once had bar soap in the shop and mice or rats ate that, also. They ate all my garden/gardening seeds, as well.

They haven't, yet, managed to open the frig and drink the beer, though.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I must have rats in the shower, my bar of soap keeps getting smaller! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

:) Tooth marks are tough to measure when they consume the entire wax package :) Setting glue traps will let you know pretty quickly, They typically do not discriminate between size or species of critter...Once caught 2 live rats in the same tray...not a pleasant find, as they were both still alive...

Reply to
bnwelch

That's the thing. There is not a trace of those bars of bees wax. I'm going to build one of these.

Michael

Sonny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Guess I'm lucky. The only thing rats have eaten in my shop is the extra packages of rat poison I had stored there.

Saved me the effort of putting them out where I thought the rats were.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Why I encourage the possums.

The coons around here will do that without breaking a sweat. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Norwegian wharf rats, a.k.a. brown rats.

I've seen bigger in NJ and NY. Found a super fat 2+ footer under a trash box while cleaning out underneath. Never knew they could get so big and fat. No one else did either. It kept three audlts and two dogs at bay with barred teeth and snarls, then hauled ass towards the local park. Two people walking up the street made an abrupt backup.

So I guess the rat I saw was a ??d in 4k 3D?

Reply to
Casper

that is a bigun some exterminators will not deal with them they will not do it

the reference to 2d for mice was that they typically do not climb they stay on floors and follow a wall etc

rats will readily climb so they are 3d

wharf rats also climb but nothing seems to stop them

they will chew through concrete so they go where ever they want

if you have those you need a real hunter cat or a smart dog that has it in their breed

most urban pets would probably be killed and eaten by a wharf rat if they did not run

Reply to
Electric Comet

I have a gun.

nb

Reply to
notbob

One of my Co-orkers moved from NYC to "upstate" (meaning North of Yonkers ;). He saw the rats we had, and told his friends back in the old 'hood that their rats were puny. ...except that they were opossums, in Duchess County. ;-)

Reply to
krw

One upon a time a Vietnamese Ranger unit I was assigned to captured an underground, unit sized, North Vietnamese bunker complex in Cambodia. It was during the rainy season in SE Asia, and, in and attempt to stay dry, we decided to quarter in the bunker for a few days while we regrouped from the battle.

Only problem was the underground rats, almost as big as some of the "pet" dogs (who followed along side of us a convenient food supply).

First night I sat, awake in my sleeping bag, with a Montagnard crossbow, to kill them before they got to me.

One night of those rats and I decided to sleep above ground, and deal with the cobras instead ...

Reply to
Swingman

Does your wife make candles? Or ornaments? I only mentiuon that because my wife does- and I may have .... ahem... swiped her wax on occasion.

-d

Reply to
danny V.