O/T: Welcome To Big Time Politics

At least we are getting something for that money, take a look at the interest that the US government is paying to China for loans from China so the the US government can stay in their vision, solvent.

Reply to
Leon

I think Leon is forgetting what the marginal tax rates were in the Eisenhower administration.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

If Barry put away Air Force One for a week, we wouldn't have the need for -any- imported oil.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thirty years ago six hours was my "break even" point (at the time, anywhere NE of a line from Washington to Buffalo). The hassle factor at least doubles that, now.

Reply to
krw

You're debt estimate is over 25% low (>$14B). Barry has been busy.

krw

Up about 40% from two years ago.

Reply to
knuttle

knuttle wrote in news:ijpld0$g1p$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

So what? Reducing taxes and expending money to fight two wars doesn't put money into the piggybank.

Reply to
Han

Actually I believe it is up to about 14,000,000,000,000,000 else why would we have to be raising the debt ceiling which is about 14.3T.

I believe is was about 10,000,000,000,000,000 when pelosi pulled the plug on the financial industries in Sept 28, 2008, as obama has been adding about 1.5T every year since he took office.

Reply to
knuttle

Exactly what taxes have been reduced?

They have been going on *far* longer than two years.

Neither does spending 65% more than you make.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, indeed, it does date from more than 2 years ago. Remember that at one time (I believe it was the Clinton era) that there was a surplus? Tax cuts (to the rich especially) and a war in Iraq based on intended or unintended deception plus a mismanaged war in Afganistan caused the current deficit. This was of course compounded by mismanagement of several branches of governmemt (Bureau of mining etc, and oversight of banking are only 2 of them) caused the housing bubble.

Now everyone wants to keep their benefits that they are "entitled" to, and wants someone else to pay. I guess that is human nature, but what about the common good?

Reply to
Han

If you believe there was a surplus, check out the national debt history. You'll find the last time the debt was reduced was in the last year of the Eisenhower administration. The debt has increased every year since.

The deficit has quadrupled in the last two years.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Both wrong and irrelevant.

Both wrong and irrelevant.

The 4T spent in the last two years wasn't all the "housing bubble", rather a "government bubble".

How about everyone keeping their "entitlements" that they had in, say, 2006, for a start?

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Since you like to go back, ewwhy not go back to the tax rates of yesteryear too?

Reply to
Han

2006? Sure, no problem.
Reply to
krw

--------------------------------- Once the "creative accounting" procedures used between 2001 thru 2008 were corrected and the total real debt published, Obama was handed a

1.2 trillion debt when he was handed the keys to the office in 2009.

As of this writing two years later, don't think the debt has quite reached 4.4 trillion required to quadruple the debt, but it is just another smoke and mirrors job by the lobbyists of the rich and famous to protect their client's piggy banks.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------------------- Remember the farce of "trickle down economics" courtesy of Reagan?

If you bother to check the records, the "rich and famous"(top 5% of income earners) high income portion of the population has seen it's taxes continue to be reduced since 1986.

Those businesses who could afford the "K" street lobbyists have also seen their investment richly rewarded in the form of reduced taxes.

As long as the little guy believes the dream he is fed that when he gets to be a big guy, (top 5% of income earners), he will be part of the "club", nobody is going to get his newly generated assets, the easier it becomes to control the little guy.

Most of those dreamers have a better shot at winning the lottery.

The idea that a business will not be competitive if it has to pay taxes but rather that tax burden should be transferred to it's employees, suggests a business that probably shouldn't stay in business.

Businesses that provide goods and services the market needs and wants, don't have a problem paying taxes.

Like it or not, government is necessary and has a cost in our society.

Since the end of WWII, the total cost of government, which includes everything from the local dog catcher to the president, has remained constant at about 35% plus or minus a point.

Now who gets the honor of paying that 35% is what this discussion is all about.

So far, the top 5% of income earners appear to be doing a pretty good job avoiding them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A good accountant will work miracles.

A good accountant A good lawyer A good doctor.

Ya needs them.

Reply to
Robatoy

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why not 2000, or 1950? Oh, wait, you rather cut benefits than pay taxes. Well, you'll have your wish. All of us will have benefits cut. I just hope my savings will be inflation proof. I am retired, and loving it!!

Reply to
Han

First, what the "one" was handed was the "deficit" of about $400 billion and a "debt" of about $10 trillion. You are aware of the relationship of debt/deficit/surplus? The deficit is now about $1.6 trillion and the debt is now over $14 trillion.

If you don't believe me, check out the US gov debt web site:

The "one" has control of the government debt web site, so why would he allow these numbers to be made public if he disagreed with them?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

We will probably all agree there, Lew.

But, like it or not, BIG government is UNnecessary and adds a devastating cost to (and effect upon) our society.

-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Reply to
Larry Jaques