O/T: Today

On this anniversary date, lest we not forget 67 years ago today.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks for mentioning it here Lew, it's been on my mind for days. =20 Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Yes, I remember it quite well. I was playing outside with a friend when my mother came charging out the house. She yelled, "The Japs have attacked Pearl Harbor". The next day, the school broadcast Roosevelt's address to the Congress. Things have never been quite the same since.

It did come to me quite later, that Roosevelt had backed the Japanese into a corner and that perhaps he had goaded them into doing something.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Not to lesten the impact of that, but 28 years ago tomorrow.

Give Peace a Chance.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Would that be when World War II was already 2 years and 3 months old.

John G.

Reply to
John G.

Back when I was still sailing on the Great Lakes, would sail across Lakes Erie & Huron to the southern and/or western shores of Ontario visiting the little port towns there.

This was in the 70s & 80s and a visit to one of these towns was like traveling in a time warp back to the 40s when I was growing up or so it seemed.

Each of these little towns would have a park with a war memorial to the fallen.

In some it would be to the participants of the war of 1812 when Canada was still fighting with the British, which meant these were enemies of then USA at that time.

Others were to the fallen of WWII, many of whom died before

12/07/1941.

As I stood there reading and counting the names, I began to understand what a large percentage of the Canadian population had given their lives in WWII.

To this day, standing in front of that memorial in Kincardine looking at that memorial, lighted only by street lights, is still vivid in my memory.

Canada is also where the Brits trained fighter pilots before

12/07/1941.

They have a plane on an elevated display to acknowledge the fact in the first town west of the Welland canal whose name escapes me at the moment.

(Crazy bunch of fun folks in that town)

Yes, I remember.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Oh go suck a kangaroo.

Reply to
J. Clarke

67 years ago my mother was 16. She never forgave the emperor for spoiling her party.

Dave

Reply to
David G. Nagel

It was (today's the 8th) a double anniversary for me, Lew.. Got out of the Army *gasp* 40 years ago, on 12/7/68

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Damn... I hate cleaning coffee off my monitor.. Thanks, John..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It ended yesterday and nobody noticed.

Reply to
phorbin

lest we not forget 67 years ago today.

You mean like the Rape of Nanking?

Wrong side of the world, but the Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere was Japan's version of Nazi Germany's lebensraum(sp?).

Japan was headed the way it went before FDR took office.

Reply to
Charlie Self

lest we not forget 67 years ago today.

Actually, no. That was when the European War was two years and three months old. The Japanese were kicking the crap out of the British in Shanghai and other places, but, so far, there was no true world scope.

Reply to
Charlie Self