O/T: The Decision is in

Which may be why some states have the age of consent set at thirteen.

Canuckistanis seem to think 14 is fine.

Having a sixteen year old daughter, I believe the age should be 24, as in 24 hours after I'm dead.

Mr. D. needs to not confuse the legal concepts of "age of consent", "age of license", and "age of majority".

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

Noted.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

No longer. 16 now.

I have a 14-year old. She tells us that she doesn't like boys... and we believe her. She spends all her babysitting money on Hollister and American Eagle to look good for herself! Those make-up sessions are for her own pleasure. =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E Right.

I already raised 2 girls. I'd like to think successfully. The oldest just got married at age 27, just last year. That's more like it. 21 would have been fine by me too. So much of it depends on the individual. Some are old and wise enough at 18. My sister was. Some are never old and wise enough.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Swingman" wrote

And in this day of industrial pollutants and xenoestrogens, the actual age of reproduction is getting younger and younger.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

So the private health care system has the right to refuse treatment to anyone it dislikes or whom it feels will not be a profit opportunity? I don't think you'll find a lot of support for that viewpoint.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Oh, and don't forget interstate commerce. Does the air you breathe cross state lines?

Perhaps more to the point, does the sate have laws governing insurance, employment, etc etc? If so, must the state not enforce them consistently with the 24th Amendment? But what does that mean?

Last I checked, the 14th Amendment stopped at private property property not open to the public (there is a term of art I am forgetting here.). If you want to keep white peopleo ut of your home, fine. A shopping mall, no. A private club, yes.

Dunno if that is the best place to draw the line, but where ever it is drawn it is bound to be fuzzy.

Last I heard, Scalia thought it was fine for the Feds to make it illegal to grow or smoke locally grown pot, in private. I wonder if would think it is OK for local governments to prohibit smoking tobacco in public?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Agreed. I was onoce a Baptist, my wife is an SB, and I'm tempted to go to church tomorrow (not seriously, though) to see what the sonorous one has to say about the California ruling. He's been preaching neoconservatism and hatred of Obama and Clinton all along, according to my wife.

One does wonder why so many Christians are so full of hate when they are supposedly strong practitioners of a religion of love.

Reply to
Charlie Self

You might ought to take a better look at some of today's 13 year olds, and the way they act. But my biggest dislike goes for the guys who molest toddlers, and there seems to be an ever-increasing number of those. I don't know whether that's more getting caught, or the fact that the percentage is increasing, but that news is always hard to take.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'm curious if this "hate" your wonder about is not just moral conviction, if someone takes a public ethical stand is it always hateful? My comprehension of religious hate requires something ranging from a Rev. Wright all the way to a Muslim extremist....interesting enough their message is less about religion and more in search of a common enemy to unite and inspire the flock........Incidentally if your wife's minister preaches politics from the Sunday morning service he should be soundly chastised as he will likely damage the very institution he champions. The rest of the week is fair game, although for a healthy church the members should only know his moral convictions and guess his political views. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

That's called the "she was asking for it defense". It's, um, wrong to have sexual conduct with a 13 yo period.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Perhaps not, but anything else requires violating someone's freedom.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

I am not "wondering" about their hate. No normal person turns red in the face and sprays spit when discussing such things.

Incidentally, that's a small country church where about 99% of the parishioners think he is not harsh enough.

And you're right, for a healthy church, etc. Do you know much about Southern Baptists? Unfortunately, far too many of them talk love and preach and live hate.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Tim, not too long ago, some asshole here, caught and convicted of molesting a three year old, said she was coming on to him. No denial, no nothing. Just a statement that she was coming on to him. Three years old. I might be wrong. The child might have been four.

If hell exists, there needs to be a special niche for people like him, say 10 or 11 steps below Adolf and Uncle Joe.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I've seen the same, and it is kind of weird.

**
**

B A R R Y

Yup. A bible thumper hollering that it is all the fault of the liberal media!! (And THAT is because ANY media that points out the the sins of the republican neo-cons automatically becomes 'liberal' so it can be neatly pigeon-holed and condemned... and consequently/conveniently be brushed aside.)

A Palestinian who wants the occupiers to go away becomes a terrorist. How easy is that?

THOSE kind of people, deep-down, want to march and wear brown uniforms with belt buckles that proclaim "Gott ist mit uns!!"

And so the cycle continues. Those who don't learn from history.....

Reply to
Robatoy

Kind of like the way my American ancestors hid in trees and shot the British, and didn't wage war properly?

**
**

B A R R Y

A close friend of mine, who is still in the navy as a weapons expert (writes all kinds of cool software) says that nothing has changed over the years. A 50 cal can take out an Apache (assuming you know where to hit it), but you're screwed if he sees you first.

So, who is the improper one in that scenario?

Reply to
Robatoy

I recall reading that Southern Baptists had the highest homocide rate of any demographic group in the USA. That might have been a particular subset, or is that subsect?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

But they were shooting at British soldiers, weren't they? Didn't go over to London and start shooting women and children or blowing up civilians.

This moral equivalence BS is gonna kill us all

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I think it's comes down to, alls fair in love and war!!! and of course who has the bigger guns.

Reply to
evodawg