O/T: Endeavor

The space shuttle, Endeavor, all 65 tons, 78 ft wing span, and some

120 ft long, is on the move.

This time down the streets of Los Angeles from LAX to her final resting place, about 12 miles away.

Traveling at no more than 2 miles/hour, it is going to take awhile.

Quite a logistics accomplishment, considering the clearances are down to about 12 inches in some places.

It's quite a sight in real time.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What is the destination?

Reply to
Bill

----------------------------------------------------- Correction:

That should read 85 tons.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------- The California Science Center

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It is one of the saddest days of my life to see the symbolic end of the US space program. In the fifties and sixties as kids we were sure we would always be first, as the space program represented to us that this country could do anything, and except for Sputnik we did. Now the US has to stand by the side of the space road thumbing a ride into space.

All of the technical advances that have enter mainstream from the space programs are ending. Things like the Laser surgeries that they are doing routinely today, which we would not have without the initial work in President Reagan Starwar programs. Everything from advances in medicine to Tang. The space program was the central point in the federal research program, and there are millions of things that we think of necessities today that started in the space program.

In some ways it is also symbolic of decline of what was once a great nation.

I hope we will realize what we are doing before we become just an another of the many debit ridden countries that are trying to survive as independent countries. A debit ridden nation that has a first lady who said the only time she was proud to be an American was when her husband became president.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Very well said, especially your last paragraph.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

It is one of the saddest days of my life to see the symbolic end of the US space program. ========================================================================================= What????

Reply to
CW

+1

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And a Texas built truck will be pulling it to its end.

Reply to
Leon

Really, a Tundra? (I'll bet it could...on the flat.

-- Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. -- Vernon Sanders Law

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ahem! It is spelled "Endeavour". It's named after Lt. James Cook's ship.

Bob Martin

---------------------------------------------------- Mea Culpa, spell checker bit me after I first typed "Endeavour".

Damn technology.

Thank you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Leon

Snip of what matters.

Old reliable fuel any one? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Poor baby, do you always have your head up your ass when you start blowing hot air?

The folks here at JPL as well as the private company in El Segundo who have sent an unmanned vehicle to the space station, docked and then successfully returned to earth, might just take exception with your nonsense.

The fact that the Ruskis are providing "taxi service" for a short period of time while the next generation of manned vehicles are brought on stream is NBD, IMHO.

Have a beer before you pop a blood vessel.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I thought what he said was pretty interesting, Lew. And right on all points.

Reply to
Richard

------------------------------------------- You are entitled to your misguided opinion.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

KCAL Ch9 in HelL.A. has some real babe announcers.

-- Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. -- Vernon Sanders Law

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm shocked that you didn't call him a "pathetic bigot" like you have so often done to those who disagree with you!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

> Toyota couldn't ask for better advertising than that, could they? >

We have a pretty nice looking anchor at CH2 in Houston. But she traded brains for looks.

Leon