Next plane purchase--next 2 plane purchases?

I thought I'd chip in here... I have a 1960-era #5. One of the blue ones, not a Bailey pattern. It looks and feels like a pale shadow of what the glory days of Stanley must have been, and just screams "cheap" and "not made very well." (I got it for $25.)

Even with that, I can get shavings that appear to be no more than half a wood cell thick. As you said, it's all about the way it's adjusted. Takes a bit of fiddling, but if this junker can do it, any remotely decent plane can do it.

Reply to
Silvan

I have read that the most important part of a plane is the iron-and Ron Hock(?) makes the best. Apparently the thicker irons are MUCH better that what comes on the plane from the factory.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Well, I ordered a Veritas low angle block plane. Personnally it was between that and a low angle smoothing plane. Between my thinking and some of the comments of you that have used to low angle block plane I felt that it was the best next purchase. I tried this plane about 3 yrs ago (when it first came out) at a show and it was impressive then when I knew JACK about plane usage. I know I will appreciate it now.

Reply to
Eric Anderson

Mine still have the stock irons, FWIW.

I'd like to try a thick one some day. Chatter *has* been a problem. Chatter is irritating.

I can still get ultra thin shavings out of this thing though, even with all the crappy stock parts.

Reply to
Silvan