New Workshop

Will I need to have 220 outlets in my new shop? I don't have any tools now that use it, but would it be a good thing to have available?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
MG

Not necessarily, but you will definitely need it available in the panel.

Usually, 240VAC pieces of equipment are hard wired back to the panel and protected by a dedicated c'bkr.

Things like an air compressor, a table saw, maybe even a dust collector, big jointer or even a planer.

Yes.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Any machine with more than 2.5 true hp motor (ie draws more than 20 amps) either needs 220 or bigger wires (why does the wire gauge go DOWN as the wire diameter goes UP?)

Having 3 or 4 220 outlets is always handy. Put them in boxes large enough for a quad panel and you can wire to accomodate two dual outlets at 110. LIke clamps, you can never have enough outlets.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Because guage is a measure of the quantity of an item that it takes to occupy a given space. Bigger wire diameter, lesser number of the wires. But, that was a trick question, right? Do I get a prize?

In the words of that famous rocker... "Too much is never enough"

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Sure you can. All you have to do is put in enough. However, you can't have too many, which is how that aphorism should be stated.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Outlets are like time and disk space. The tools to be plugged in will expand to consume the outlets available.

Reply to
J. Clarke

With regard to disk space, I have long called that the Winchester Corollary to Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's of course says that a job will expand to consume the time alloted for it. The Winchester moniker is a reference to early IBM hard drives (model 3030) being referred to as Winchester drives.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Dam I don't have any 240v in my panel, and at times it causes problems, (I had to replace the 240v motor on my compressor) it seems to be a few volts too low 208 or too high 480 :-)

William