New Unisaw on the Way

Barry ...

Depending upon how beat up a truck you find acceptible, you might get a good cheap one from the Department of Administrative Services. About once a month (or maybe it's quarterly) they hold an auction of surplus state vehicles in Wethersfield. You saw my big honking Dodge van. I paid 2 grand for it about 8 years ago. I bought its predecessor at a DAS auction for $200. That one had 167,000 miles on it when I bought it and I drove it until it disintegrated.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

about the same time I bought my house my sister bought a truck. she paid about the same amount for her truck as I paid for my house. in the ensuing 4 years the house has easily doubled in value. I wonder what that truck's worth today?

now, given, I bought the house for a song. it was in sad bastard shape and the owner was motivated to sell, and my sister bought a 4 door lifted diesel dodge with alla the toys on it, but....

Reply to
bridger

Hmm. As I recall that was right after the UAW managed to negotiate a 30% increase in pay and benefits over a two year period. I wonder if these things could possibly be related?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Thanks! As you may remember, I LIKED that van! The phone co, I work for used to sell trucks and vans to employees, but our current Texan parent no longer allows that. Used vehicles are sent off to the dealer auction.

Under the old ownership I hooked my FIL's asbestos and lead removal company up with 10 Chevy 35 12' cube vans, and many window vans and utility bodies over the years.

I'll research the State of CT auction.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Barry ...

As it turns out, it was a minor miracle that I made the trip from my house to yours and back without incident. A couple of weeks ago I drove over to Harris to buy some wood and when I went out to the parking lot it woulnd't start. All I got was that dead battery chattering sound. The guy who sold me my lumber came outside and gave me a jump start. I pulled around to the rear of the building, backed up the loading dock, and applied my parking brake. Unbeknown to me, the cable and brakes were severly rusted and became frozen in the engaged position. After the wood was loaded, I needed a second jump start to get going and threw the transmission into neutral at every red light and stop sign so I could rev the engine to keep it from stalling. About halfway from Manchester to West Hartford I started smelling something burning but I just kept moving. Miraculously, I did make it home and smoke was billowing from my rear wheels and continued to do so for about

20 minutes. In the next couple of days I dropped $125 at Pep Boys for a new voltage regulator and $850 at Papa's Dodge for new brakes. The transmission will just have to wait. Fortunately I was able to get the jointer out of the back before any of this adventure took place.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Here's to the van holding together!

Is that abandoned car still behind Harris?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

It's Delta's product, they can charge what they want for it and can put whatever restrictions they want to on their dealers. For it to be "price fixing" Delta, Powermatic, Grizzly, Jet, and everybody else in that market would have to get together and decide to charge the same price for their various saws so that they could all make excess profits and the consumer wouldn't have any choice but to pay the high price or do without.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yep, NOT price fixing if ONLY Delta does it. For years and years one of the BIG name scuba companies would ONLY sell thru dealers, and the only way you got to be a dealer is to sign an agree that you would NEVER (without the companies approval) sell for less than SRP

Stood up in court a couple times as I recall.

Now, if all the power tool makers got together and set prices for their products so that ALL the 10in cabinet saws sold for the same price everywhere, THAT is price fixing and illegal

John

Reply to
John

That's the one I have been thinking about. It looks pretty good.

Reply to
jegan

It is well worth the money in my opinion ... Besides being a jig maker's dream, it effectively combines the benefits of the unifence and the beis, and you can switch in seconds from one to the other and still have precision measured cuts.

There may be another TS fence system with that flexibility, but I am not aware of it.

Reply to
Swingman

A dealer can advertise any price he/she wants to. Delta can't stop anyone from selling or advertising an item at any price or it is price fixing.

Most manufacturers offer dollars to pay for advertising. The money will be withheld if a dealer advertises for less than the MAP price.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I paid around that for a 1 ton dually with diesel. It also rarely sees a passenger.

But, it sees driver and three passengers for at least two trips a year. These two trips are at least 5,000 miles.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I believe price fixing is when manufacturers get together and say all

400# 10 >"Gary" writes:
Reply to
Jim Behning

Whilst I agree with you on this the Unisaw has "more or less" remained the same price for at least ten years if not for fifteen. In this case though I think it's been/being subsidized by the cheaper machines in the Delta line. It has not kept up with the rate of inflation.

UA100, who has studied a Unisaw or three...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Are you still on about this price fixing garbage? Price fixing is a conspiracy between companies. Delta is not "companies" and thus cannot unilaterally engage in price fixing. You have been told this more than once.

Reply to
J. Clarke