New Sears Craftsman Tablesaws 22114 and 22124

Anybody tried one of these? I've looked at both models in our local store. Don't need a 3-hp., so both the 1-1/12hp and 1-3/4hp models are attractive alternatives. Nice features on both. Heavy duty construction. Each has aluminum cross-cut bar on the miter guage with a built in fast release hold down screw. Both have 4" dust port and a quick release splitter/blade guard..

I like the higher saw table on the 22124 and the folding metal table at the back plus the nice Biesemeyer fence. All for $950.

The 22114 is $650 for 1/2hp less and has what looks to be a heavy-duty new design Craftsman fence. It has two t-slots machined into the top plus one on each side. But the on the floor model I looked at the micro-touch adjustment would not work unless tremendous pressure was applied. It consistently slipped on the bevel machined on the underside of the front guide rail. Could be sloppy set-up for the floor display, but it is a question.

Looking for anyone out there that has used either tool and can offer some feedback.

Reply to
OldSalemWood

OldSalemWood asks:

I've made one cut with the 22124 with the Biesemeyer fence. I'm picking one up on Tuesday for a test. It is impressively smooth, has reasonably massive cast iron trunnions--something the marketing department knows about, but doesn't emphasize for some reason--has the Biese fence, of course, and generally works as advertised.

And they didn't hype the HP.

Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hello Old Salem, I bought the 922124 with the Beismeyer fence a few weeks ago and have been using it like mad since then. I am very impressed with the machine so far. It is heavy, stable, accurate and I love the nice miter set up and dust collection. I ripped some 2 1/2 inch mahogany yesterday and the motor didn't flinch and produced fine jointer smooth cuts with almost no burn whatever. The blade provided seems to work very well. The handles for the blade height and tilt work smoothly and lock down tight. The cast iron wings are smooth and well machined. On/Off swith is nice too. Would also suggest a mobile base, since it can't be moved without one. Once you get the Beis set up right it is dead on accurate. If you are looking for a decent saw, I would recommend this model. Look for the Craftsman club discount though. I got 20% off, making mine $769.00, with free delivery to my home. At this price, you can see why I'm excited about the saw! I am looking forward to hear other's experiences with the "Professional Grade". It hasn't even been reviewed yet by any of the wood mags except for an announcement of sorts. Hopefully, there will be some positive buzz about this new saw! MrMortise

Reply to
mrmortise

Way to go on the choice of the 9221124. Actually, the official model # is 150.221240. I know this because I had to call parts to order a dado insert, as the store where I bought the saw doesn't have them yet. $21 and change for the part and another $11 for S&H, for a total of $32.00. It's only money! You might want to order one of these (dado insert) along with. I'm right in the middle of a project that need some dados and I'm stuck now unless I use my old saw. Thank God I have that in the meantime. Hey .............anyone want to buy a good ole Craftsman saw in the Seattle area? The price is right! Just for kicks I visited a friend yesterday and he was showing me his 1938 Craftsman table saw. A well made little saw with a good fence on it. Much better than my 80's model. Heavy cast iron top. The trunnions tilted the entire motor along with the blade angle. Too bad it only cut about 8 inches right of the blade with it attached. Kinda cool though. Maybe some of you out there have one of these as well! Good luck on the purchase Salem! You will love it I'm sure! MrMortise

Reply to
mrmortise

Make your own. A 2' x 4' sheet of 1/2" MDF will yield about a dozen of them. Takes but a few minutes and the cost is about 50¢ each. Unisaw A100 posted the instructions a few month back. I'll send you a copy if you want them. Not only does it save money, it's woodworking (that's your hobby!) and you have zero clearance inserts for every blade you'll ever use and a few different dado widths. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I haven't tried them, but they are impressive. Here is a link to more info on them. Note that these scans are about 1/2 a MB each - only way to keep them legible.

John

Take out the TRASH for E-mail.

Reply to
WilliaJ2

I've been looking at the 22124 for a few days now. What type of effort did it take to set it up correctly? It seems that the only acess to the trunion is via the red door. Is there a procedure included for set up and alignment. I asked the Sears salesguy tonight and all I got was a blank look!

Do I need any special tools for set up?

I'd be interested in your opinion of this saw so far. I'm in the market for one and the Craftsman Club discount expires at the end of the week. Also how did you get 20% off. Seems the best price I can find is the $809

Reply to
Bob Ziemba

Bob Ziemba asks:

You probably won't need to do anything with the trunnions. It is factory adjusted. Mine was spot on, and the Biese fence bolted on perfectly aligned.

That said, the trunnions are bolted to the cabinet: check cabinet corners on the underside and you'll see the bolts. This is a basic cabinet saw trunnion set up and is much easier to adjust than that on a contractor's saw, though less likely to need adjustment. You do NOT need to reach inside the motor cover.

Charlie Self "Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air." Jack Benny

Reply to
Charlie Self

Thanks.

Did you mount your saw on a mobile base? If so what manufacturer and are you satisfied with it?

Reply to
Bob Ziemba

Bob Ziemba asks:

Not yet. There are several neat little models coming out soon...may already be out, as I haven't had time to look. And I like the quality of HTC bases, but don't know if they make a custom model for this saw yet.

I am getting where I need a mobile base. This saw is kind of heavy to be walking around the shop which I've had to do for 3 days now to clear space for photography. That gets old. I like a tug and come-along deal much better. Old age and laziness.

Charlie Self "Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air." Jack Benny

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hi Bob, I bought the Grizzly base they sell for the 1023 saw. About $65.00. It works just fine. Rolls around smoothly and when cinched down, is very secure. Michael

Reply to
mrmortise

Hi Bob, I bought the Grizzly base they sell for the 1023 saw. About $65.00. It works just fine. Rolls around smoothly and when cinched down, is very secure. Michael

Reply to
mrmortise

Hi Bob, I bought the Grizzly Base they sell for the 1023. It rolls around smoothly and when cinched down, it is very secure. Costs about $65.00. Michael

Reply to
mrmortise

I too have the Shop Fox mobile base on my saw. With the extension, too. It's a pretty good setup. You can even mount the wheels in whatever direction you like. I would reccomend it. Plus if you decide to add the long fence rails later, it's easy enough to add the extension kit to the mobile base. I've even thought about adding a second kit for an outfeed table as well.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz

MrMortise

Just picked up the 22114 yesterday. The extra 10% was a "grand re-opening" special on top of the sale and club discount. So it may just be here in Winston-Salem. He also threw in an extra $20 coupon.

This one doesn't have the "full" cabinet-saw-type case, but looks almost as hard to get to. I'll let you know how hard it is to set up when I get to it (bought the saw a couple weeks early because of the deal - newborn baby takes priority over setup of tools)

Reply to
The Fan