New marker for dark woods.

I found a new marker for dark woods the other day. I do welding as well as wood working, and I took a soap stone marker to some walnut... NICE!!!

I had been looking for a replacement to chalk since it seemed to embed in the pores of some woods and was difficult to clean out even with mineral spirits.

The soapstone seems to come off very easily. I'll let you know how it finishes over a cleaned off area later, unless someone else beats me to it.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Good idea. I think I have one of those in my toolbox buried under the timing light...

Reply to
Limp Arbor

A white colored pencil, crayon, or grease pencil, from any hobby shop works well also.

Reply to
Swingman

I mark rough lumber with a good old fashioned lumber crayon but at that stage my marks are all free hand and rounded to the inch. Somehow the jointer and planer don't seem to have any problem removing the crayon.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I have tried crayon, but for some reason the multiple white crayons I find don't show up well. I had a very good one long ago, it was meant for lumber, but I have not seen one since.

The soap st> >> I found a new marker for dark woods the other day.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Timing Light! Why does that make me think of Antiques Roadshow.

Hmmmmm. I wonder if the two buried in the bottom drawer of my box are worth anything.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Have a bunch of walnut, but have not tried soapstone ... will certainly do so now. Thanks!

Reply to
Swingman

I hope so. Twenty years ago when I used to make a living turning wrenches I bought a snap-on digital timing light and still have but I really have no use for it. looks just like this one:

Limp Arbor