New Forum at GW

Check out the brand spanking new woodworking forum (started today) at GW. Why not register?

brian

1) You make money off visitors 2) It's not usenet 3) There are already dozens of forums. 4) You can fingerprint every individual who visits your site and target them with ads. 5) It's not usenet 6) Reading a forum on a browser sucks 7) it's not text based 8) and it's not usenet.

Hope this helps.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

If only...

Correct

Maybe. Not sure on this one.

Incorrect

Echo?

Hmmm.

Are you sure?

There's that echo again.

Reply to
brian

Reply to
Steve Barker

Registering does not deactivate your usenet account.

Reply to
brian

LOL...

snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com writes:

1) You make money off visitors 2) It's not usenet 3) There are already dozens of forums. 4) You can fingerprint every individual who visits your site and target them with ads. 5) It's not usenet 6) Reading a forum on a browser sucks 7) it's not text based 8) and it's not usenet.

Hope this helps.

scott

Reply to
geoff

All negated by the fact that Brian is a long time participant here who has helped many with his contributions down through the years and is worthy of the support in his endeavor.

In this particular regard, not many naysayers will be able to say the same ...

Reply to
Swingman

I do agree about the clumsiness of web-based fora as also being a disadvantage, though, altho that's not the prime reason I won't be registering it's a pretty strong disincentive to use such.

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't disagree with you.

I have yet to see forum software (and I've looked at a lot of it) that is as easy as good old text-based usenet.

I just don't have time for web-based forums, so will not be participating.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I'll admit to rarely actively participating in one, but I do like to lurk, particularly through an RSS feed. Still, I'd like to see guys like Brian succeed, not only because he's proven to know his stuff, but you never can tell where you just might pick up a nugget of information that will save your bacon on that next project.

Reply to
Swingman

Spoken like a true Obummer communist!

Happy may day.

The rest of your reasons are OK, but this one, although unlikely to be true, would be great. I doubt any visitors will be giving him their money though, so he will have to make his money off other than his visitors, also easier said than done, but certainly a noble concept in the USA, not so much in the USSA!

How do you make your money? Printing press? Welfare check?

Reply to
Jack

Amen!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I want to have 1 good source of information on woodworking topics, and rec.woodworking used to be THE best place to find that. When I first got internet, all the expertise was concentrated in one newsgroup. Now we have a plethora of forums and the expertise is spread all over. How annoying. R.W is still a great source nonetheless, and I hope we can keep the level of expertise up as the older guys drop off over time. There's already too many forums and creating more is just counter-productive. At least Google helps find good info that's spread all over.

John S.

Reply to
John Shear

The Wreck puts "People First"--just like Suzy Orman! : )

For various reasons, you won't find that in too many places.

Bill

When I first got

Reply to
Bill

Further, the developers of such software seem to go out of their way to make it difficult to write offline readers for it. The concern, I suspect, is that the offline reader will also block the advertising.

It's bloody frustrating because there's no way to do a proper killfile.

Reply to
J. Clarke