New assesments came out

Is it any more of a scam than appraised value for resale? After all, it's (or should be) an estimate based on comparable home sales.

I don't disagree but that's the way it's done and, as I said, life isn't fair. The principle "unfairness" is that it is a tax on wealth, rather than income (ability to pay).

But "that's not fair". Snif.

Why do I pay more in income tax than the guy living in a cardboard box, under the Interstate?

Not sure that's true (or all that relevant). The real danger, here, is that it can (and is) used as political capital (and retribution).

The guy in a one-bedroom apartment should pay the same as Al Gore, in his 90 bathroom mansion?

That would be fine, if everyone could even come close to paying that bill. Divide government spending by the population to see what your share is.

Reply to
krw

That kind of talk is enough to make a liberal blow a gasket.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

` The assesment was done by a local company hired by the town. That's useful to know about the service. As I really suck at these battles. The guy I was talking to (from the company) was talking in circles saying it's not unreasonable for a house to be valued less than another in a different neighborhood. I said it's the house next door, what different neighborhood.. and he kept doing circles.. which leads me to realize that you can't talk to an asshole.

Reply to
WW

LOL Yeah.

Reply to