Need to stain cherry to dark cherry

Heyyy... (chuckle) I don't go much north of the Mason/Dixon unless I have safe passage. He would be a little pissed at me for that as he has tried hard to educate me in the way of the Buckeye.

I have to say though, that the pictures my sister has brought back over the years have been incredibly gorgeous. Lush hilly landscapes, lots of hardwood trees, GREEN vegetation due to rain, etc. It looks like a pastoral farmland from a book. NOTHING like South Texas. We have our postcard scene shots down here, but it isn't the rule.

His parents were Ken and Esther Zimmerman. They lived there pretty much all their lives, and in the same house since they were married. He passed about 3 years ago, and BIL's Mom is now down here in a rest home in Houston so they can keep an eye on her and help take care of her. She is now 85.

There are some fine old names in use up there with the remaining family, those in their late 70s and early-mid eighties. Uncle Wilbur (I kid you not), Uncle Orville (I kid you not), Uncle Floyd (yup), Aunt Etta, Aunt Cotta, Aunt Ruth, etc. Their clan sounds like a step back in time. And living out there in that beautiful farmland they certainly move to a different drummer.

BIL's name is Gary, and his brother is Ken (Jr.). Ring any bells?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Buckeye, AKA: Worthless Nut.

People have been known to make a living on 80 acres, not easy, but it can be done.

There is a major Amish community in Wayne County which translates into farming and white oak furniture.

Before the advent of irrigation in California, Wayne County was the

2nd richest agricultrial county in the US, right behind Lancaster County, another major Amish community.

There is a LOT of veery old, very moldy money in Wooster, but you would never know it.

When I left, it was a town of about 15,000 with at least a dozen known millionaires, and that was the late 50's.

I know.

Around Wayne County, probably find as many Zimmermans as Smiths, maybe more.;

Yep.

Rings a bell, but I don't know why.

How old is he?

Did he go to Wooster High school?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When I first met him about 25 years ago, I thought he was kidding when he told me that was their state nut. You can't eat it, cook with it, or do anything else with it. So why is it the state nut? No one seems to know how that came about.

I believe Gary's Dad and Mom both went to Wooster High, graduating in the late 30s, but I am not sure. His Dad would be somewhere along the late 80s now, so that would put him through his grades.

But his sons are both in their mid - late 50s. Gary and Ken both graduated sometime in the 60s, and they both went to WH.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

wrote

That's sort of what I figured, I left Wooster to seek my fortune in 55 so that puts me in the middle of the generations.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

that puts me in the middle of the >generations.

Still... it's a small world sometimes, eh?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41
[...snip...] If finishes are truly "non-breathable", wood wouldn't move with humidity changes. All finishes are permeable to some degree.

But Cherry does darken when exposed to UV light.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram