need miniature power tools!

have seen 2 companies that sell those tiny power tools,but i can't afford the high prices as i need several of them.Bin using my big standart ones,but due to illness lately have trouble to handle the power to make tiny detailed crafts,and had a few very close calls. Is there a forum or place that sell them used or lower then the micro mark company.If anyone know's of such,please send me e mail.MD

Reply to
marion711

Clint

Reading peoples posts is just as important as posters DAGS.

Reply to
Locutus

Have you thought about hand tools? Even though a tool is smaller it's still dangerous. If it can cut through wood it can cut through you no problem. You can do a lot with a fret saw and a sharp knife.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

My apologies for not being perfect. If you'd like, I can forward my wife's e-mail address to you, and you can let her know that it's unanimous.

:)

More seriously, if you looked at the links I posted, the second one had numerous other vendors and manufacturer's which might assist in finding lower cost tools. And other links on that page lead to clubs of model railroad builder's, which would probably lead to forums of users, which could lead to used equipment...

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Which power tools? If you are looking for quality 'table saws', lathes, shapers, etc, they are all fairly expensive. Example: a high quality saw will run $400.00+. e-bay is a good place to start, as used equipment often turns up there. Search on "Minicraft" or "Proxon" (either google or e-bay) for more reasonably priced stuff. The seller 'rustyclockwork' on e-bay sells a lot of Proxxon tools and is reliable. If he doesn't have anything available right now, message him. Another place to look is the magazines for the 1/12 scale furniture market. 'Dollhouse Miniatures' is one title that comes to mind.

Be aware that building scale stuff can be addictive and that you can still injure yourself with miniature power tools,

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Might I suggest that you sell your larger tools so you can buy the smaller ones?

If you have truly had several "very close calls", that is life's way of suggesting that you change your ways.

Cutting one's thumb off on a table saw is not a good way to start the day.

Good luck with your efforts.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

I have that table saw. Very nice. Fence blows, though, and so does the miter gauge. I just saw they have a 0.020" kerf blade for it that I'd like.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Which one? Minicraft makes one and Proxxon makes two. Here's the one I Really want. So far, price is all that's holding me back:

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I have the "big" Proxxon:

Once you have the wood/brass/aluminum/acrylic stable, the cut is very clean.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

That's a nice looking saw... I like the guard (don't like Proxxon's), and it looks like the fence and miter are better, too. How much is it?

FYI, I posted a link to the microlux table saw, but it's just a rebadge of the Proxxon. Mine's the Proxxon (green) version.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I've lusted after that one now and then.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

$440.00 - plus extras. IIRC, it weighs about 30 pounds. He also does a thickness sander for $340 and a very reasonably priced draw plate. Poke around his site a bit more and look at the reviews.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I've been looking for something like that sander for years. I wonder if it has enough power to handle the full 6" width. There'd be a ridge from between the belts, but I could deal with that.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

| have seen 2 companies that sell those tiny power tools,but i can't | afford the high prices as i need several of them.Bin using my big | standart ones,but due to illness lately have trouble to handle the | power to make tiny detailed crafts,and had a few very close calls. | Is there a forum or place that sell them used or lower then the | micro mark company.If anyone know's of such,please send me e mail.MD

Given the situation, you might consider a slightly different approach to the tooling you use. Take a look at some of the smaller CNC offerings - the per-tool cost is higher; but the number of tools required can shrink to more than compensate.

One of the benefits is that you can convert drawing files to CNC command files and do precision cutting with your body safely removed from the danger area.

I'm in the process of building a small 3-axis router (early photos at the link in my sig) with a step size of 1/4800" that can use very small bits to cut shapes and machine surfaces. I've seen bits down to

1/64" advertized; but the smallest bit I've tried so far is 1/32".

Morris Dovey

IIRC, the review said you could do full width. The review of the saw said it ripped 3/4" beech and maple with no strain and no burning. I think this guy builds Solid tools. I imagine if he scaled them up you'd be looking at 10x the price.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser