Need help making "pane" for kitchen cabinet door

My mother in law wants a pane in her glass kitchen cabinet door. What is the best way to do this? The thickness of the pieces will only be about 1/4" so I can't use a half lap or anything like that at the intersections. I guess the only way is to mortise and tenon them? Should I just butt glue them? What is the best way to attach them to the rails and stiles? Where do i need to leave room for movement? Thanks a lot.

Reply to
chris c

Mon, Dec 13, 2004, 3:57am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net (chris=A0c) puts out: My mother in law wants a pane in her glass kitchen cabinet door. What is the best way to do this? The thickness of the pieces will only be about

1/4" so I can't use a half lap or anything like that at the intersections. I guess the only way is to mortise and tenon them? Should I just butt glue them? What is the best way to attach them to the rails and stiles? Where do i need to leave room for movement? Thanks a lot.

What?

She wants a pane in her glass kitchen door? From scratch? Or a replacement pane? Thicknesses of what pieces? The panes? You can't half lap because of not enough thickness, but you can mortise and tenon instead? I don't know about everybody else, but you've completely lost me. Details would help.

JOAT We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.

- unknown

Reply to
J T

*smile*...Yea...that was my first reaction too. My usual excuse is that I am a product of the public school system in Appalachia.

Details WOULD help...Now...putting on my "mind reading" cap...I think that what the OP is trying to say is that their mother in law has solid wood cabinet doors and wants glass fronted ones instead. A) Depending on the mother in law, the BEST way might be to go to a commercial source and buy them. It might cost a few hundred dollars, but, would likely ensure domestic peace and tranquility...and THAT is valuable. B) Now...if the person can construct in wood better than they can in English...there are a couple of ways to go about the project. 1) If the cabinet doors are solid sheet material, they can carefully cut out a square opening, then, rabbet around the edge, cutting about 1/4" bigger than the opening, and, slightly deeper than the thickness of the glass. They can then drop the glass into the opening, and, either caulk it in place or (a better plan) screw molding on the back of the door to hold the glass in place. 2) If the doors are raised panel types, then, one can carefully route out the back of each panel opening (0n the INSIDE of the door), removing the back lip of the wood holding the panel in place. From there...proceed as in option 1.

of course, this will only work if the doors are REAL wood and not that sawdust-filled glue and printed plastic that so many cabinet makers seem to foist off on the gullible as "wood" these days. If they are MDF or something like that...I would suggest option A, or, if one has enthusiasm, build the frames, biscuit-jointed together, then, pick up with option B.

In any case, good luck....it is always easier to get an appreciative audience OUTSIDE the family than it is INSIDE the family.

Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

I think he is talking about constructing mullions, and asking how to join them......

1/4" so I can't use a half lap or anything like that at the intersections. I guess the only way is to mortise and tenon them? Should I just butt glue them? What is the best way to attach them to the rails and stiles? Where do i need to leave room for movement? Thanks a lot.

What?

She wants a pane in her glass kitchen door? From scratch? Or a replacement pane? Thicknesses of what pieces? The panes? You can't half lap because of not enough thickness, but you can mortise and tenon instead? I don't know about everybody else, but you've completely lost me. Details would help.

JOAT We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.

- unknown

Reply to
jeff

Yeah mullions and how to join them. What he said.

Reply to
chris c

Tue, Dec 14, 2004, 1:29am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net (chris=A0c) says: Yeah mullions and how to join them. What he said.

Which still doesn't answer the rest of it.