Need help identifying an old Scroll Saw

Greetings,

I've been given an old scroll saw that I would like some help identifying, because I need to find some parts for the blade clamps.

I've posted some pictures here:

in advance! Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Spann

Got a 404 Not Found on that url. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Easy, just remove the "Index.html" part, and it works. Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

See this site, you might be able to find it by comparing pictures to yours:

they also might appreciate your pictures being listed there.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Thanks, Alex. I had checked out that site before I posted here. I looked at all the scroll saws they had listed. I couldn't find one that matched, though.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Spann

Funny, the ISP I have hosting my website must be running Unix or Linux, because URL's there seem to be case sensitive. I had

*originally* had the filename mixed-case (Index.html), but the only way to actually reach that page was to have to type out the full URL. Since I wanted to be able to just put in the path (and have their server automatically hit that page), I changed it to all lowercase (index.html). But, I guess that broke the link I had posted. Go figure.

Thanks Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Spann

I am nowhere in woodworking as of yet, currently I am collecting tools here and there so I can start learning. One thing I want is a scroll saw and would be very proud to have the one you show! I think no company makes them that way anymore, cast iron and completely classic.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

It is probably a Sears Dunlap (or Companion brand) like this one, ebay:

4318699198 < The body shapes are very close in design but not perfectly the same. Too bad you can't find a badge with the sears 000.00000 type of catalog number, with that you may be able to get parts. even then, Sears may be able to identify the catalog number by looking at the pictures. If you can find the metal badge, type the number into the Sears parts site.

I saw a little blue companion one once on ebay, very old, and Sears recently "re-enlivened" the same name onto chinese tools.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Ah. Your ISP's system administrators have not installed "mod_speling" (yes, that's how it's spelled) in their (I'm guessing) Apache configuration. It's made for just this, and "...corrects miscapitalizations, and many omitted, transposed, or mistyped characters in URLs corresponding to files or directories, by comparing the input with the filesystem."

Might be worth asking your ISP if they would consider installing mod_speling - if they're worth keeping, they'll do it, if they're not, then there are other hosting companies who are more willing to come up to current standards. It's been available for rather a long time, and I'm surprised that there's anyone not using it.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thank you for all your time and effort in helping me identify this old saw. Prior to asking in here, I had done the standard Google search, eBay search, and looked at all the pictures on OWWM.

In addition to posting here, I have also posted this question in the metalworking newsgroup. They too think it is a Dunlap saw. However, I have some doubts ...

All the pictures I have seen of Dunlap saws have a two piece body, with a vertical bolt at the back of the body holding it together. More importantly, though, is the table pivot bracket. On mine, the table bolts to the cast iron 'protractor' part, and has additional support from resting on (but not attached to) the single post sticking up behind the blade. All the photos of Dunlap saws I have seen show a 'U' shaped bracket on which the table pivots.

Again, thank you all for your assistance. I guess I am going to have to fabricate some blade clamps myself.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Spann

Sure, just being enthusiastic because it is also my interest. But take a look at this site, a complete museum of scroll saws. He will no doubt KNOW!

good luck.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Alex...

If you ever get to this part of the country, set aside an hour or two to visit Rick and take the (informal) tour. Along with clocks and unreasonably small sub-miniature everything, Rick also designs, builds and collects wooden (foot-powered) scrollsaws that I find incredibly fascinating!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Yes I saw that! I am impressed too. Tempted to get the plans but no space for it. I looked through all the pictures of saws he has, shows a home made one that has a motor on it, that I like (bad nerve problems). The two I like:

wish there was 'net info on this fretmaster! Site still open when I saw your reply.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK