Need a little welding ...

Anyone in the RTP area of NC know a good welding service? Preferably affordable?

Reply to
DIYGUY

Anyone in the RTP area of NC know a good welding service? Preferably affordable? Send me a note on the back channel if you do. Thanks ...

Reply to
DIYGUY

you might try posting on rec.crafts.metalworking

they seem to be a pretty helpful group.

Reply to
marks542004

FWIW, I just got a refurbished Campbell Hausfeld 225A/220V stick welder from Amazon for $125, with free shipping. It's comparable to the classic Lincoln stick welder in specs. It got pretty beat up during shipping (poorly packed from CH), but Amazon made it right (let me know if you want more details). I added the 50A 220V circuit this weekend in about 20 minutes (first time doing that). The welder works great, lots of power, smooth arc, infinitely adjustable output amps.

I quickly repaired a massive 1/2" chip in my pick-axe, just for a test project. At 160 amps, I accidentally instantly melted a section right off the blade, but the repair worked fine at about 90 amps. Like I said, plenty of power. It should be enough power to butt weld 3/8" steel in one pass.

Here's the welder:

Anyone in the RTP area of NC know a good welding service? Preferably

Reply to
Mike Reed

Reply to
Battleax

The maintenance shop at work.

Price list: Tack welding ( no grinding), butt or single angle welds Cup of coffee Watertight welds up to 10", metals over 1/2" thick Six Pack Go cart chassis from tubular steel, major repairs Full case, and not that Lite crap.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski