My ash is burnt.

Have a project underway using some salvaged white ash. When using a pattern bit with my router the end grain burnt even though the bit was reasonably sharp and I kept the speed up. When I cut some mortises with my Multico mortise machine(sharp bit) smoke poured out of the mortise being cut. When I tried to use my 1" belt sander to even out a tenon the end grain burnt. I've used the same procedure(s) to machine red and white oak but did not experience this much blakin'n. What's with my ash? According to my Woods of the World cd(don't be a sucker and buy this like I did) and another reference, the stuff should machine like red oak but is difficult to mortise. The only thing nice about this stuff, so far, is it doesn't have a smell. It's not like the cat pee smell of red oak when it's machined. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Larry,

Used a lot of ash the past year and had a little burning but that was traceable to a dull router bit. It could be that the stock you got has been case hardened and causing you this grief. Take a piece of scrap about 12" long and at least 1" wide and rip it down the center then let the two pieces sit overnight. If they bow in the morning (and can bow in seconds if really bad) then that may be the reason.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.