Mortiser and Baltic Birch

Having difficulties mortising BB but not hardwoods. Have the sharpening cones and have used but when the chisel starts into the wood that's where it ends, at the surface. Cure is (1) pull harder, (2) use sharpening cones, (3) don't mortise BB?

Reply to
nospambob

You are always going to have some breakout of the surface veneer of pretty much any plywood when you try to jam a punch through it, which is what is essentially what you are doing (I'm assuming from your post that you are using a square chisel mortise attachment or mortiser.

If you wanted, you could use a very sharp razor knofe and score/cut the surface first. Yes, that is a bit manual intensive, requires layout that a mortiser typicially helps you avoid, but if you want clean cuts in plywood, I couldn't see any other way top get it.

BW

Reply to
bwx100

Soft timber expands more on turning it into chips. Try setting the auger up to leave a little more space between it and the chisel. If you use the "nickel trick" to set the chisel & auger position, use a slightly thinker nickel.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You can try extending the drill bit further out from the cone, or else don't do it. max

Reply to
max

This is the first meaningful explanation I've seen to help set the drill bit WRT the chisel. The Delta manual simply said the distance between the drill and the chisel will vary depending on the type of wood without *any* explanation for the relationship. In the words of a Japanese friend of mine - wakarimasu, now I understand!

Thanks! TWS

Reply to
TWS

It would be even clearer if I could spell "thicker" !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Agreed - charlie b's "Fisch" 40 cent setting trick made things much nicer with mine...

Reply to
patrick conroy