Mortise & Tenon - through or stub?

I'm currently constructing a face frame for some built-in wardrobes. The stock is 70mm x 20mm (about 2 3/4 " by 3/4") American Black Walnut and the rails and stiles are to be joined using M&T joints.

I can find plenty of info in Joyce & Frid's books about the layout and dimensions of the tenons, but can't find any advice on when to use through tenons and when to use stub tenons. Most of the edges of the frames will not be visible, but there are two instances when they will be, so I reckon that stubs will be used there. But the others....

I'd been wondering why haunches always seemed to be cut, but eventually found reference to the reason that they prevent the wood from twisting. So, mitred haunches will be cut....

Any advice?

(I'm cutting all this by hand, incidentally. No tablesaws, bandsaws or mortising machines here, unfortunately).

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

-----snip------

IMHO through tenons are mostly a matter of personal taste, although, I suppose, there is a slight strength advantage of a through versus, say, a

3/4 'through', tenon. I like the 'almost through' tenons and use epoxy glue. With gap filling epoxy you can hide your small sizing errors inside the wood. Again IMHO all those pegged, wedged and other configured tenons are unnecessary for strengthening the joint if you use modern glues(i.e. epoxy). If you tend toward the esthetics of a joint then the pegged, wedged or other is another matter(and I have used them). I have even used fake through, pegged tenons on some mirrors
The tenons on these mirrors were about 3/4 through

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

To me, through tenons are a decorative feature. I wouldn't use them unless they were meant to be a visual focus of the design. I use them on arts and crafts tables and such, but I find them a lot harder to fit. The gaps as the tenon emerges from the mortise have to be perfect, although there are tricks to make it easier.

Cheers, Brian

Reply to
Brian

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Thu, Aug 28, 2003, 9:31am (EDT+5) From: noaccess@invalid (RichardS) I'm currently constructing a face frame for some built-in wardrobes. The stock is 70mm x 20mm (about 2 3/4 " by 3/4") American Black Walnut and the rails and stiles are to be joined using M&T joints. I can find plenty of info in Joyce & Frid's books about the layout and dimensions of the tenons, but can't find any advice on when to use through tenons and when to use stub tenons. Most of the edges of the frames will not be visible, but there are two instances when they will be, so I reckon that stubs will be used there. But the others....

Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Reply to
Sir Edgar