Morticers

Has anyone tried one of those mortising attachments which connect to a planer thicknesser? Elektra Beckum make such a thing and I was wondering how it compares with a normal bench top mortiser.

If they are any good I could get rid of my mortiser and thicknesser. I would then have a planer (jointer), thicknesser and mortiser in one compact unit.

This would help greatly as space is diminishing daily in my garage/workshop.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or experiences from anyone.

Oldun

Is it mortiser or mortiser? I have seen both spellings used and am not sure which is correct.

Reply to
Oldun

I don't know anything about the mortisers for thickness planers. I have used the Delta clamp on mortiser for drill presses and found that it works very well. The one caveat is that you must buy the chisels seperately from the attachment, and the set of chisels is also $50, the same as the attachment. I have always used the spelling mortiser.

Reply to
woodworker88

Reply to
Mike

Damn spelling checker making me look a fool.

Oldun

Reply to
Oldun

Never heard of such an animal (nor the above manufacturer, either, for that matter). Have a link/reference???

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I was just looking and found them easily. They are a european company. I looked on their site and couldn't find the actual device mentioned. Here is the link to their thickness planers. The thickness planers actually are also joiners on top. Look carefully at the bottom couple on the page.

woodworker88

appropriate for to provide what info they could... :)

And what's there to see specifically? Look very similar to others of like design. The image is too small to see any real detail. I'm still at a loss as to how a mortising attachment could be coupled w/ a combination planer/jointer such that there was any real connection between them functionally.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Think the OP is not quite explaining what he means or is a little confused. There is no "attactment" that you can fit on a standard planer/thicknesser unit, that I know of.. Certainly on some combo machines there is the possibility of a horizontal morticer facility. Since Elektra Beckum is only sold in Europe, not the US/Canada, try a UK site.

Noel

Reply to
c_address_below

You can do dadoes with a jointer, but a mortise? I don't see how unless there is an extra table and a way to mount a router bit to the cutter head so that it sticks out the side. Then you might have something sort of like David Mark's multi-router.

Reply to
Hax Planx

Dadoes with a jointer? How? Perhaps you mean rabbets?

Doug Miller

That was my thinking, too, but thought just perchance there was something new to be seen...apparently not.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Well, you could grind down the knives so that it cuts a dado. Did I just invent a new tool? But, yeah, I meant rabbet.

Reply to
Hax Planx

Reply to
Oldun

Duane,

A simple search of the internet would have shown you what I meant. You all have access to the WORLD wide web so please use it. Oldun

Reply to
Oldun

Okay, I gave it a shot. For those interested there is a slot mortising attachment for some planer/thicknessers. Check at the bottom of the page on the following URL:

no(SPAM)vasys

Well, since you asked for input, I figured it only fair for you to let us know what it was you specifically wanted input on.

But, whatever...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

It would have been simpler still, if you had provided a link to an example of the sort of thing you were talking about...

Doug Miller

Granted, of course this "is a world wide site and is not resticted to American woodworkers only". But you missed my point the last time you posted a question relating to European brands that are not sold in North America. Certainly, post all you want about UK/Euro specific machines but I reckon that to receive replys that will be of a greater assistance to you in your quest a UK site would be of better value. JMHO, and as I have said in the past this NG is populated mostly (like

99%) by North Americans. Andy Dingley is about the only poster from the UK that contributes on a regular basis. So, by all means keep posting but I always find that posting a question in the appropiate NG/Site generally garners more helpful replys as the subsequent posts to your original enquiry indicate. Anyway, today I've learnt that Sheppach do a slot morticing attachment for a Planer/Thicknesser combo machine although the cost (guts of =A32K / $4K at current rates) just may make it a rarity amongst hobby woodworkers. As a previous poster mentioned a link would've been handy.

Rgds

Noel

Reply to
c_address_below
99%) by North Americans. Andy Dingley is about the only poster from the UK that contributes on a regular basis. So, by all means keep posting but I always find that posting a question in the appropiate NG/Site generally garners more helpful replys as the subsequent posts to your original enquiry indicate. Anyway, today I've learnt that Sheppach do a slot morticing attachment for a Planer/Thicknesser combo machine although the cost (guts of £2K / $4K at current rates) just may make it a rarity amongst hobby woodworkers. As a previous poster mentioned a link would've been handy.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks Noel, I would do as you say but my list of newsgroups does not show a dedicated UK woodworking site. While we non-Americans put up with reading about things which only relate to American readers, we accept the situation quietly. Had I been aware that such mortising attachments were unknown in the US I would of course have included more info and links to relevant sites. I admit I was rather pissed off at some of the less than helpfull replies to what was a reasonable question. At least, in a roundabout way I've been able to increase the woodworking machinery knowledge of some of you American woodworkers.

Cheers

Oldun

Reply to
Oldun

No worries. Now you could go and join

It's the only active (50,000 posts) Uk based board that I'm aware of. Lots of Sheppach and EB users, hobby WWers and pro WWers and maybe even some Ford Focus Estate owners too..... On a personal basis I find this NG of great value for wood working in general and provides a valuable resource answering problems and, as this thread has proved, learning something new. Our North American cousins (I'm in not so sunny Ireland) are generally a good bunch of people.

Rgds

Noel

Reply to
c_address_below