Mold in the shop question

I sent a friend the pictures I posted in abpw of the shop cabinet I built. He replied that it was his experience that if I don't have excellent ventilation in the shop my magazines and books stored int he cabinet will get moldy. My shop is a separate building heated only while I'm in there, cooled the same, on a slab with insulation in the attic and walls, slab floor. I use the Boeshield stuff on my tools as a precaution.

I haven't noticed any mold (fly droppings another matter)in the shop in the

2 years I've had it on any leftover lumber or papers etc. but I've not left magazines, books in there for any length of time. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers! Duke

Reply to
Dukes909

My garage is everything. It's my workshop, it's my bodyshop, it's my service bay, at times we clear everything out of the way and jam in it, and I park my cars in it. It's like yours - insulated, heated when I'm out there, on a concrete slab. I'm in Central NY, and we get humid enough weather here. I've had all kinds of wood, books, manuals, etc. in my garage for years - a decade. No mold of any kind. Some mouse turds from time to time, but no mold.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

That matches with my experience in a shop in a garage in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and now slower lower Delaware. I did put the books, etc., in a cabinet just to keep dirt from settling on them. No mold problems either. We are about 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean here, so tools do have a good wipe-down of oil, as they can/will rust here.

Reply to
professorpaul