Mold?

x-no-archive:yes

I have some rough cut oak boards my dad got me in my garage floor. I noticed a blue substance on them. Some can be scratched off with a finger nail. Others can not. Is this mold? If it is can these boards be used? Will they be ok after planeing?

Reply to
stryped

If you have a microscope you might be able to tell more about the substance. If it is mold or mildew you can scrap off most of it with a putty knife then wipe the boards with a rag moistened with diluted household bleach. The boards should be useable if they have not rotted too much. It's best to store stock up off the floor.

Reply to
Phisherman

I recommend taking a sample of it to a testing lab. It could be ultra deadly stachybotrys. It may already be too late for you... sorry.

Reply to
Locutus

x-no-archive:yes

Would planeing it from 1 inch down to 3/4 without doing anythign else be ok?

Reply to
stryped

If it is mold, depending on what type, you probably would NOT want to be breathing the dust from planing those. If you really must do this, do it outside AND get a very good-quality respirator designed for mold remediation. On the other hand, your blue substance could be chalk. If you're sure it wasn't there before and just appeared at some point, it's almost definitely some type of fungus (of which mold is one type). Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
stryped

Chlorine bleach, which is a sodium hypochlorite decomposes to sodium chloride and chlorine gas when it dries. Unless you use a very strong solution there won't be much residue once the wood is dry.

But chlorine bleach will often turn mold black, so try it on a small area first.

Reply to
fredfighter

ROFL. stachy is overrated :)

Reply to
dnoyeB

I'm mostly a lurker, but I just wonder why you don't want your posts archived? On some ngs that basically says "don't respond"

- just a step above "reply by email." When someone says DAGS, why don't you want your posts to come up? You've asked some good questions. You are already using a hotmail account. If you don't want that one to stay in the archives, might I suggest that you make another one - they are free.

Anyway, do what you want, of course -just wondering.

Reply to
George Shouse

George wrote:snip< I just wonder why you don't want your posts archived?>snip

Bet you a nickel he won't respond to your question. Tom

Reply to
tom

Is there a wood working guild or club in your area that you could join?

Reply to
Frank Drackman