Mirror update

And ultimately it will crystallize. Takes some millions of years, though. That's why there is no natural glass (obsidian) beyond a certain age.

Reply to
dadiOH

After I wrote that I googled a bit. I'm pretty sure that whole "glass is liquid" thing is an old wives' tale. But there are still plenty of glass sites recycling that information. Sounds a lot like woodworks, huh? :-)

There's a camp that touts glass as be a "super-cooled" liquid that can still move like a liquid, over time. That whole thing came about because of old windows being "thicker on the bottom." People though that gravity affected the "super cooled liquid" causing the glass to fall to the bottom over time. That's all horse crap.

The reason really old windows were thicker in places (not always at "the bottom") was because the way they made the glass and how it was formed when being fired. They just didn't have the modern technology to flatten it out, uniformly, like they can today.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Old wives' tale. Explain how some old windows are thicker at the top, or one side, or both sides or top and bottom. It's not gravity. It's because of the way the glass was manufactured back them. They didn't have the technology to make a uniform thickness.

Reply to
-MIKE-

If true, that is probably due to matters of weight. So that it is able to support it's own mass without cracking. Bill

Reply to
Bill

glass is an amorphous solid.

yes, it is thicker because they used to make it in cylinders, cool it, score it down the side, break it, then reheat it to flatten it. it was thicker at the bottom of the cylinder, and most glaziers put that at the bottom for weight.

if it flowed in 75 years, then glass from the egyptians that are 4000 years old would be a puddle by now.

it's also an old wives tale that one has to score and break immediately. there is some indications that the bottom of the scored fracture can heal somewhat, but not to any great deal.

and finally, we don't flatten glass now. float glass is called that because it's poured out on a bed of molten tin in a nitrogen/hydrogen atmosphere. art glass is still made the old way, poured on a steel table and flattened with rollers or by hand.

Reply to
chaniarts

instructor some 30 tears ago. Glass is technically a liquid vs. a solid, it heals itself. I have never verified the next example of glass being in a liquid type state but it is said that the stained glass in old church windows is thicker at the bottom and thinner at the top.

75yrs old and older will be visibly thicker on the bottom, with waves/wrinkles (flows unevenly) that will noticeably deflect light.

That's an old wives' tale. Glass is a solid at normal room temperatures and does not *run*. The "thickening" at the "bottom" that had been noticed was an artifact of how the glass was made a century, and more, ago.

it, only noticeable with clear glass, i.e., an aspect to help in dating/aging glass, bottles, jars, etc.

back in high school and a bit beyond.

because of its unevenness.

pausing before snapping, to inspect that the score mark was visible and, if not, score it again. What was that thread, "Pretend you know an idiot"? Ibid.

Reply to
krw

first off I am not talking about plain clear glass, I was only referencing "stained glass"

If you have looked that up to determine an old wives tale I can't doubt you. But the church stained glass that I was talking about, while is not perfect uniform thickness, the glass in stained glass windows is not cut in a uniform way like you would cut wood. Stained glass is cut at any particular angle. Two identical pieces of glass may have been cut at 90 degrees from each other. Because stained glass is not uniform in texture and or internal coloring you hunt out the spot in the glass and cut it out.

With that in mind the stained glass would not all be wider on the bottom.

Reply to
Leon

All I'm saying is that I have never been able to find any credible evidence (before or after google) to support that glass is effected by gravity nor that it can "heal itself" from being scored.

I'm calling BS on those things.

Reply to
-MIKE-

David Esterly, the author "Grinling Gibbons And The Art of Carving" that says they put lighter wood carving above glass. An extension of that idea would be to to use lighter glass at the top. But then it would be weaker there, so maybe not.

The notion that glass is not affected by gravity must be careless choice of words.

Reply to
Bill

Not in the context of this discussion. In this discussion, it was brought up, the myth that glass is never "fully hardened" and can flow downward in a window pane over time, making the bottom of the window thicker than the top.

*That* is the effect of gravity that is relevant to this discussion.

This fallacy has been discredited as an "old wives' tale," but is nonetheless still purported all over the internet and even of professional glass worker sites.

I think it's clear to anyone that if you drop a piece of glass, gravity will sure have a dire effect on it. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Okay, I did not buy into that part of the discussion.

Reply to
Bill

It's always good to know the ture facts, rather than the false facts. : )

Thanks, to all, for the correct info.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

my daughter was sick this weekend and had to take her to the doctor. On to p of that i had to buy a new router and figure out how to hook it up to my old table.

although it looks square. My intention was to rabbet out the back so the mi rror could be replaced, however with it not being square, I am not sure if this isstill a good idea as at least with the full channel in there I can " adjust" the position of the pieces before gluing them up if that makes sens e.

Also, If I round over the edge can this be done on the individual pieces be fore gluing the frame togther or is it best to assemble the frame then rout e the pieces? (My only router is mounted to the table. I can take it out I guess if I need to but it took me awhile to mount it).

Sorry for the dumb questions.

I are debating is whether to paint or stain it. I want to stain it to matc h the cabinet which is also in the attached picture. But I am open to anyth ing.

Reply to
stryped1

daughter was sick this weekend and had to take her to the doctor. On top of that i had to buy a new router and figure out how to hook it up to my old table.

stile bits I wonder if i can still assemple using pocket holes so the unit can be assembled and disassembled.

are debating is whether to paint or stain it. I want to stain it to match the cabinet which is also in the attached picture. But I am open to anything.

Reply to
stryped1

Yes, you can put a profile on the outside edges before you assemble them. However, IMO, it is better to do them after assembly so that any length or thickness mismatches in the pieces can be corrected first.

Reply to
dadiOH