Mirror backing

Getting ready to assemble the new medicine cabinet door for the bathroom. The backside of the door has a recess for 1/8'' thick mirror glass, then another 1/8'' thick recess, 3/8'' wider all around, for backing. What's a good material for mirror backing, paintable or white on one side, and easily stapled? The mirror is not large (15'' x 24''), so I don't need a 4' x 8' sheet of anything.

It's not a grand woodworking project, but I think it will look nice. Gave me a chance to use the nice miter saw that my wife bought me for my birthday, and the biscuit joiner that I got from Harbor Freight. And, old news to you expert woodworkers but new to me: I've always used "combo" blades in the table saw when ripping. But I just bought a Freud dedicated ripping blade -- what a difference it makes.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

1/8" thick Hardboard? 1/4" plywood?

How are things in Frosbite Falls, these days?

Reply to
patrick conroy

HD/Lowes (my supplies by geography) seem to have 3/16ths hardboard, but no 1/8ths. 1/4'' plywood too thick.

Mrs Squirrel complains of the shorter days, but otherwise fine. Upsidaisium mine has shut down, putting a lot of miners out of work. Michael Moore is planning a documentary.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

door skin?

when i build stained glass mirrors, i tape an opened brown paper bag behind the mirror part. this will protect against scratches to the mirror paint, which would be visible from the front.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Great tip, Charlie! Thank you.