Minor mishap

I was about to put up a magnet over my lathe to hold small items. Walking over to where the screws live, with my mind 82 miles away, I walked into a 1 cubic foot box full of wood blocks. I went down like the Titanic--but a little faster. No harm done other than debarking my elbow and knee.

Note to self: If you insist on leaving boxes where they don't belong, maybe you should invest in some good elbow and knee protectors. Maybe a rubber floor.

It won't be long before I may need a room at the nursery rhyme home.

Reply to
G Ross

You must'a been on auto pilot. My wife accuse me of that all the time. some times I put sugar in the K-Cup and coffee in the bottom of the cup...

Glad you are OK.

Reply to
Leon

My daughter has a response to that. Today is No-Fall Sunday (or whatever d ay it is). I'm not permitted to fall today. Tomorrow's another story, and we'll cover that when it gets here. Occasionally we have to send a note t o one another to the effect that "I forgot to read the memo." Doesn't alwa ys work, but we get a laugh over a clumsy stumble.

Jack

Reply to
Jack F. Alltrayds

My worst "mind 82 miles away" mishap occurred when I was building my deck. Actually, it was more like "mind 36 inches away".

I was working on the railing for the stairs (8 steps) and I used bar clamps to hold the railing to the posts. I used a 36" bar clamp on the upper portion, with the bar sticking out into the yard. I walked away from the stairs to grab some tools and then started walking back.

~36" from the stairs my head snapped back, my safety glasses cracked and were pushed up towards my forehead and blood started running down my nose.

My vision had been concentrated on the railing and the 1/2" end of the bar clamp completely disappeared from view. It caught me square in the center of the left lens of my *safety glasses*, which cracked, but luckily deflected the sharp end of the bar clamp up towards my forehead where it took out a pretty big chunk of skin.

If I hadn't have been wearing the safety glasses, I probably would have lost my left eye. I almost fainted, not from the impact, but from the shock of realizing how close I came to a very serious injury.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Glad you had the safety glasses on.

FWIW, I try to practice a rule--no bar clamps at or near eye level, and if they have to be then try to turn them in the direction where I'm least likely to walk into them. Not always possible, but a good objective to shoot for.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've been practicing that same rule for exactly 1 second less than my deck railing is old. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:4436f39e-473a-48fb-9735- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

[...]

I haven't worn safety glasses in the shop for going on twenty years now -- ever since the first time I tried a face shield. I've said it here before, and I'll say it again: your eyes are not the only things on your face that need protection. I'm glad you had the safety glasses, at least, and that your injury was only superficial -- but I think a face shield might have prevented even that.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Depends how fast he was moving. I agree a sheild is better in many ways. That said, you'd be surprised how effective a simple ball cap pan be at preventing hear wounds - particularly for the "follily challenged". The hat acts as an "early warning system" - similar to a full head of hair. I've still got my hair, but a hat STILL helps. (not necessarily for the eyes)

Reply to
clare

As Leon said, "Glad you are okay." I have the same problem with concentration and it gets me into trouble more often than I would like to admit.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I wear glasses or googles out on the job due to their portability, but when wood turning I always wear a face shield. Obviously they give the wearer a lot more coverage, but they are a lot cooler in my experience.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

They keep the chips and sawdust out of your beard and eyebrows better too.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My only complaint about my face shield is the hearing protection doesn't fit. I'd like to have both muffs and face shield, especially when going from one machine to another and back again.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The face shields I've used tend to fog up. I have that problem with goggles, too.

Reply to
krw

Here's something to try. Dissolve a little bar soap in alcohol. Spray it on and buff dry. I have used it on bathroom mirrors to prevent fogging. It will eventually "wear out" but another application makes it work again. Learned this from a fair huckster who made a lot of money selling this by demonstrating it by breathing on a hand mirror before and after treatment.

Reply to
G Ross

Thanks! I'll have to give that a try. Now to find some real bar _soap_. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Several fog-proof options to consider:

Spalted Walt

I hadn't even considered that such a thing existed. Makes perfect sense, for other than spraying.

Reply to
krw

like the idea of a rubber floor

another option is a michelin man suit

Reply to
Electric Comet

Those do look cool. I imagine glare would be much less too.

Reply to
Leon

Grainger carries a few different models as well.

Spalted Walt