Minimizing noise from a compressor

No, not so far. I feel that the once or twice weekly, 10 minutes use of the compressor in the daytime is not of long enough duration that I need do so. Hell the fire alarm in the building goes off much more often that I use my compressor. That doesn't stop me from being aware of my neighbour's comfort. Better to think about it too much than not enough as far as I'm concerned.

However, if I could abate some of the potential for noise, I'm sure I could find increased usage for the compressor.

Reply to
Upscale

Because the consumption air is not enough to prevent overheating. Besides, air is heated when compressed.

Everything has to be put into proper perspective. Every compressor has a duty cycle. It may be 30%, but could be 100%. Industrial compressors sometimes go 24/7 for a year at a time. The 150 HP IR that we run will have air temperatures in the range of 240 degrees and the cooling water can reach

115 on a very hot day even with two fans running on the cooling tower.

Our 75 HP Quincy screw has a factory enclosure to keep noise down. There is also a large fan and vent to the outside about 2' square for the exhaust.

In the case of Upscale, he is looking at running about 10 minutes a few times a week. It will not even be up to normal operating temperature in that time so an enclosure is not a problem with cooling air.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I finally replaced my free craftsman 30 gal amazing 5.5hp compressor with a nice small 4 gal non oiless compressor. the noise was so bad even with hearing protection it was horrible. I guess it got jealous as it died the next time I tried using it two weeks later (G) took the pump off and hooked it to my smaller compressor. the smaller one will actually fill it's tank and the 30 gallon tank faster then the craftsman did. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

rhetorical questions are wasted around here, I guess.

granted at the level he uses it now he could encase it in a block of concrete.

but he did say that part of the reason for doing this is so he can use it more.

Reply to
bridger

This was about compressors. Rhetoricals was another thread.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Arrange the inlet suction to provide airflow over the cooling fins / intercooler.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

G'day Upscale, I have made my compressor significantly quieter by boxing it in. I have it under a bench and enclosed it with Pegboard. Two doors on the front, framed pegboard. I don't know the mechanics of why it works but it does and the Pegboard allows plenty of airflow. I have my scroll saw on top the bench and when working it and the compressor kicks into life it's fine. Before the enclosure it scared the sh@t out of me every time :) regards I also have the none wheeled end sitting on some 1/4" insertion rubber just a piece about 6" square. John

Reply to
John B

I suspect that those two airflows need to be at ratio of something on the order of 20:1

Reply to
bridger

Generally speaking, the oil-less compressors seems louder than non oil-less.

We used to keep the sh> Has anybody done something specific to minimize the noise from their

Reply to
root

Just plain pegboard? Are you using the thicker 1/4" stuff with the bigger holes or the thinner stuff with the corresponding smaller holes? Can I assume you haven't lined the box with anything?

Reply to
Upscale

The 1/4" stuff, I had a couple of bits and pieces laying around I tried placing egg cartons on the back wall (Shed), but they made no difference. It is significantly louder where there are gaps in the doors etc. The overall effects are quite comfortable with the peg board. Regards John

Reply to
John B

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Pegboard is really cheap so the worst that can happen is that I waste $15 for what at the very least, would be a learning experience. Providing it produces a noticeable diminishing of sound volume, I'd hazard a guess that the holes in the pegboard diffuse the sound enough to prevent a measure of resonance.

Reply to
Upscale

What would work even better, is two layers of peg-board, 1" apart with the holes off-set from each other with a thin layer of fibre glass insulation in between. That how I designed soundproof operators enclosures for Ontario Hydro's RL Hearn Generating Station (The one at the Leslie Spit). Peckover's in Concord will sell you perforated metal. Easy to cut and fold. Use 3/8" holes on the inner enclosure, 1" hard fibreglass insulation and 1/4" holes on the outside. (You'd still need a muffin fan though, as the rigid insulation isn't very "airy") That would be the fire-proof version. The upside of the rigid insulation would be that the inner and outer enclosures would not have to be mechanically connected, again stopping noise from transmitting.

Reply to
Robatoy

I'll keep it in mind. As a start, I can try the single layer peg board version and if that doesn't produce sufficient noise abatement, then I can consider going with the second layer as you've laid out above.

Reply to
Upscale

This is what makes this group great, You learn something everyday. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Regards John

Reply to
John B

I appreciate that feed-back, John.

Cool.