Micro Kerf 40 saw blade

I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo:

're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

Reply to
Denis G.

They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey

You can get an even smaller kerf by going with an ultra thin kerf cordless circular saw blade. As long as you don't need the full depth of cut, it's *way* cheaper than this special blade.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I'd say very pricey...but it's got a 90 day money back guarantee.

I'd still wait for a sale.

RicodJour

They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey

I've got a Forrest thin kerf blade. I found that depending on the grain/figure of the wood the blade would sometime deflect slightly. I ended up also buying a Forrest full kerf blade. I can only imagine what a 1/16" kerfed blade might do.

Reply to
Nova

Or - if you can get by on a .079 kerf - you can get a Tenryu for less than a third of that. I used to have one some years ago, nice blade. I still have a 7 1/4" Tenryu which has a 1/16" kerf Less than $25); handier than a router or long, narrow grooves.

dadiOH

Thin blades are OK for cutting veneer and cuts that you are not concerned about. Thin kerf blades flex and with flex you get poorer cuts more often than with a regular kerf bald.. I have been down that route and will stay with the regular kerf blades.

As far as saving wood,,, unless you are cutting a lot of thin strips or veneer you are not going to benefit. When was the last time you wished you had a board that was 3/64" wider? ;~)

Also, the guy talking in the video noticed and pointed out tooth marks on the wood he just cut.... that is a problem with thin kerf blades because the flex and deflect that you don't see as often with regular kerf blades.

Reply to
Leon

Think band saw blade.

Reply to
Leon

My guess is that it would deflect too if you pushed it wrong. I talked to someone at the company (just because I was curious) -- the blade is made of a high speed steel (recycled material - "green" advertising) with carbide tips.

Reply to
Denis G.

last week. no matter how much i cut off, it was still too short.

Reply to
chaniarts

unclear if they all have carbide tips. Also, it seems that you'd probably want to use a blade stabilizer for the 10" version. I know that Tenryu makes good circular saw blades for dry cutting steel and they make quality products..

Reply to
Denis G.

Wow, we must have seen different videos! The guy I saw actually liked the cut from the blade he was using.

Reply to
Denis G.

Isn't a band saw blade supported both below and above the cut, preventing horizontal deflection? The table saw blade is not similarly supported.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I probably should have clarified, band saw blade quality of cut. Tooth marks.

Reply to
Leon

My guess is that it would deflect too if you pushed it wrong. I talked to someone at the company (just because I was curious) -- the blade is made of a high speed steel (recycled material - "green" advertising) with carbide tips.

Recycled/green would explain the exaggerated cost.

Reply to
Leon

Wow, we must have seen different videos! The guy I saw actually liked the cut from the blade he was using.

I think we saw the same, 3 guys? Watch again, the guy doing most of the talking and making the cut points out tooth marks, IIRC he refers to them as kerf or cut marks. And yes he did seem happy, I used to be happy with a fast cut and putting up with having to address the tooth marks later on. Now however tooth marks are mostly a distant memory. I'd much rather make a slightly slower cut and be done with the edge. I suspect the guy in the video has not yet gotten used to consistently having a smooth cut from his saw.

Reply to
Leon

From their web site,,,,

these guys really serious or are they simply mocking the industry?

If I were in business manufacturing saw blades I certainly WOULD NOT have the above link on my web site. Hummmmm.

Reply to
Leon

Oh, that's just a tradition up here. We cut up sticks and put them in the mud.

Reply to
Denis G.

If you go to the web site:

You'll see that the blade appears to have a "thickened" center, sort of a "built in" blade stabilizer. That would, of course, limit the depth of cut. $176. rules it out for me. I'm happy with my Forrest.

Max

Reply to
Max