melodius wood

making some wind chimes and found some pieces have a nice ting and some just sound dead

thinking moisture content might be the key but maybe there is a species correlation

so many scraps and not sure what they are

now tuning them is another story

Reply to
Electric Comet

....thinking moisture content might be the key but maybe there is a species correlation....

For sure there is. Just Google "tonewood" Wiki has quite a good write up. The tuning will very according to the dimensions of each block. Coarsely tune them by cutting them to size and fine tune by planing till they sound in tune.

Cheers,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

interesting

had not heard of it before

these are cylindrical so i will fine tune by sanding

although flat faces might be more interesting

now if they could be arranged so they play a melody somehow that would be a plus

Reply to
Electric Comet

Music box mechanism. Wind mill turns a cylinder with dowels sticking out. Dowels are position appropriately to hit the tone-boards for the tune.

"Fur Elise" cylinder might be easy to make. Post pics when done.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Don't you know that EC doesn't waste his time by posting pics? He says we should be spending our time making stuff, not wasting it by posting pics.

Reply to
DerbyDad03