Making (sewing notions) drawers with clear plastic faces

If I were to make a huge cabinet to store all of the sewing motions kicking around the house, and I would want to use clear plastic drawer fronts, what would be the correct way to mount these flat clear plastic faces to be the front of the drawers. I would most likely be cutting the plastic, and drilling the holes from a big sheet, though you can order both done when buying. I have learned how to use a cloth wheel to round the edges of plastic, the coloured kind anyways: don't know if the clear plastic I am thinking of is any different from what I used to make Pacman keychains. Everything else would be plywood, possibly painted. The drawers could range in size from anywhere from say 1-1/2" High to 8"High, say, and the width could be 48"-58", possibly 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 or full width including a max 48" x 8".

I may be able to make some drawers flip down to expose threads positioned on pins by colour. Probably take a 1-1/2" x 58" x full depth (maybe ~20" drawer.

Any ideas or have you seen anything like this.

I've got a space 58"W x 7-8' high, and full depth, and I mean its kickin.

Reply to
bent

I think I would make a wood "picture frame" with a plastic or glass window in it for the drawer face.

The only ways I see to make the face completely of plastic require either making the entire drawer of plastic bonded together with methyl chloride or making the faces of heavy plastic (1/4" or more) screwed to the drawer carcass sides and bottom. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

Reply to
lwasserm

In that case I think you'd need to make the drawer bottom thicker than normal and perhaps dovetail it to the sides or another strong connection. I think I would just screw the front to the sides and bottom, with a piece of wood glued to the underside of the bottom to give enough thickness to screw into.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I definetely have some ideas I didn't used to, but I think I am still missing the boat. For instance if I could dado or even rabett in rthe front edge, what kind of example would that be? Wouldn't that mean I'd have to make the sides/back/bottom one piece? Otherwise wouldn't the bottom and front being held by the sides/back? Is that ok? I am thinking engineer-wise. If I just drilled it on the front to hold it, I don't know, it would just be kinda hanging there, no rigiditity. I can't really plan on strips on the top and bottom if I don't know what I'm trying to achieve. I am just against doing anything, and just doing something is a little ridiculous.

Right now, I am stuck in the thinking that I NEED to support the bottom as much by the front as by the sides/back.

the plastic must replace a wood piece with serious rigidity.

Hmmm I wondr what would happen if I took off the front of a drawer (w/ a floating dado bottom), ansd replaced it with a screwed on piece of flimsy plastic?

Reply to
bent

I like the idea of a face frame for a front, with a groove for the window, but it will not will suit when designing for having smaller drawer sizes.

i could use square dowels side to side on top and bottom, possibly w/ groove, or rabbett. I'm stuck here. Should it have a free floating bottom, or attached at all/any edges? Due to the quantity of drawers unknown I don't know whart to glide them on, and so, doubly not sure how (a potentially large) 3 sided box would perform with any contents

Reply to
bent

i think its a short stretch to realise i could attach the plastic rigidly, having a four sided box, and do a semi- or full floating bottom

Reply to
bent

Good question, this; it stretches the imagination.

For a small drawer (less than 3"x5" front) a face frame won't work well; the wood wants to be several grain-spacings deep at all points, for strength. One could box-joint or dovetail a wood front with routed inset for the polymer at 3x5 or larger.

How about a thru-dovetailed front in plastic? You could drill/pin with a nail, or use suitable glue (dark adhesive caulk?). The dovetails would work OK with a bandsaw in polycarbonate plastic. You might be able to chisel it, even, with a hot-blade cutter (this is a common bit in soldering-gun kits).

Or for a small drawer, maybe bend the plastic to make front/bottom/back in one piece and glue wooden sides on? The full joint size would be large enough that glue strength isn't critical. Dipping the plastic in a kettle of boiling water will soften it in a few seconds, then clamp it to a form to cool. Remember that your form has to allow a radius for the bend! I've always liked being able to see through the bottom of a drawer full of parts.

Reply to
whit3rd

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary effort to me when something much more simple would suffice. Something as simple as two flathead screws fastening a plastic window directly to the front edges of the drawer sides. There's plenty of visually appealing screwhead types available that would make any project like this look good.

Reply to
Upscale