Lumber Rack Storage System

Joe Gorman wrote in news:42d3a256$0$18642$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunsite.dk:

The upgrade from shop to studio is one of the mind, the heart, and your skillsets.

Some of the better artists I've met have much more modest facilities than I.

Patriarch, working on it...

Reply to
Patriarch

Go to Home Depot they have the same system, that's what i did and works fine. Good Luck!

Reply to
Rob Spear

When I built my shed, I doubled up the wall studs on one wall (at 0', 4' and 8'). I notched the inside faces of each paired stud with a 3/4" deep by 3.5" high by 3.5" wide notch. Insert an 18" length of two-by-four, secure with a couple of 16d sinkers and you have a cantilevered lumber storage rack. Have three levels, at 1' from the floor, 2.5' and 4' from the floor. Each holds an amazing amount of lumber.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yes, I need to change from coll^H^H^H^H gathering handplanes and put them to use, and resume practicing hand cut dovetails. I have managed to acquire a potential benchtop. Live oak slab 5" x 24" x 5'. Just need to trim the ends and design a support structure to hold it. I'm ignoring the 'how to lift it to the top of the legs' for now. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Scott,

It sounds as though you have a you have a good design that works well for you. I was certainly incorrect to question the carrying capacity of a cantelievered 2x4.

However, the point of post was to refute wzhat was suggested by Dave's post that it was silly to invest in a steel rack system. I was trying to point out that a 2x4-based system is not the best choice in some cases.

In my shop, by lumber storage rack is above my jointer. I have less than 3 verticle feet of wall space to work with. Also, I have finished walls (Sheetrock). Unless I tore apart the walls, the verticles would be proud of the wall. It may sound silly, but an extra 3"x10' is a footprint which I would rather not surrrender in my shop.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Joe Gorman wrote in news:42d4fdd7$0$18646$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunsite.dk:

Couple of stumps would look cool...

Reply to
Patriarch

The one big piece available weighs about 10,000 lbs.4'+/- across and

10'+ tall. I do have a 6' crosscut saw that might be able to cut it, if there was a way to set it on blocks to do the cutting, assuming I could last long enough for the 4 cuts needed, and find someone, or several someones, foolish enough to run the other end of the saw. Joe
Reply to
Joe Gorman

Joe Gorman wrote in news:42d647c6$0$18648$14726298 @news.sunsite.dk:

Block & tackle? Forklift? Chain saw? Levers?

You visit here and wonder if you could find a few fools? Not been paying close attention, have you?

Patriarch, one of many...

Reply to
Patriarch

Well, it's been raining a bit lately, and the Lull, rough terrain forklift, sinks in so far when it tried to pick it up last time it couldn't move. Maybe when it dries out a little. Half rounds from the trunk to support the top, sounds interesting. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman