lumber prices

I always thought plywood was less costly than hardwood and was surprised wh en I set out to buy both for a little project. 2x4 sheet of birch-faced 3/

4 ply at Menard's -- $18 and change or about $3 a board foot. 4/4 hard map le at my yard select & better $2.25 BF. Previous experience with Menard's ply tells me that I can expect some voids as I cut my pieces.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Seems to me they are the same price... 18/8= 2.25 and assuming the are both finished to 3/4. There is often an upcharge for less than full sheets of ply so depending on how much you need the ply can end up cheaper and maybe require less labor (there is a huge "it depends" that goes with that).

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Gramp's shop wrote, On 5/30/2013 11:04 AM:

I set out to buy both for a little project. 2x4 sheet of birch-faced 3/4 ply at Menard's -- $18 and change or about $3 a board foot. 4/4 hard maple at my yard select & better $2.25 BF. Previous experience with Menard's ply tells me that I can expect some voids as I cut my pieces.

It's costly because you are buying sucker wood...wood that they have cut into nice little pieces for you.

You can buy a 4' x 8' sheet of birch ply for about $48. And they will even cut it into 2' x 4' pieces for free if you want.

Be aware that the stuff the borgs sell is usually C3. Definitely not the world's best but OK if you aren't fussy

Reply to
dadiOH

Here is a place that sells a "lot" of plywood with the typical prices at different grades.

The grades are also explained:

$50 birch plywood is typical d3 or d4 paint grade.

Reply to
Pat Barber

I paid $50 for lumber core maple last month and pay 1.55 for

5/4 FAS poplar surfaced and straight line ripped on one edge. I forget what I paid for12/4 ash for the legs on the beds So those prices don't seem out of line
Reply to
ChairMan

(snip)

How was the quality? Lotta voids? Last stuff I bought several years ago (10?) was brutal.

Reply to
JayPique

I recently bought a sheet of Purebond Oak-veneered plywood, C3, from Home Depot and was pleasantly surprised. It was still $47, but that's what you pay for the words "Formaldehyde-free". The A grade stuff is about $99 (not stocked).

Reply to
Bill

I set out to buy both for a little project. 2x4 sheet of birch-faced 3/4 ply at Menard's -- $18 and change or about $3 a board foot. 4/4 hard maple at my yard select & better $2.25 BF. Previous experience with Menard's ply tells me that I can expect some voids as I cut my pieces.

Reply to
mungedaddress

Actually wasn't too bad, no more voids than half the crap you get with the multi-ply. Maybe I just got lucky

Reply to
ChairMan

Consider - the maple came from the states and the plywood from Chile.

Mart> I always thought plywood was less costly than hardwood and was surprised

when I set out to buy both for a little project.

2x4 sheet of birch-faced 3/4 ply at Menard's -- $18 and change or about $3 a board foot.

4/4 hard maple at my yard select & better $2.25 BF.

Previous experience with Menard's ply tells me that I can expect some voids as I cut my pieces.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn