lube 4 wet sanding shellac?

I'm running out of paper. I need an idea for wet sanding shellac. I have an orange peel to smooth and it's taking so long. I can't find mineral oil, I don't remember where I got the last bottle and HD has none. All the WW shops are closed down in South Jersey. Oh, a tip for those waiting on K body close outs. Stop waiting, ask the dept mgr for a discount that matched the tradesman % and they can do it. They aren't dumping the kbody line. Thanks very much

Reply to
BErney1014

Mineral sprirts, kerosene, or paint thinner has worked for me.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Can't tell what lub is the best (I use mineral spirits, have no idea if it is the best) but I got mineral oil at a pharmacy. They always seem to have it.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Note that the more you have to remove, the less lubricity you want.

Leveling favors mineral spirits, polishing, light oil - vegetable ok. Mineral oil really slows things down, even the light stuff.

Reply to
George

Yes, I've passed by a few times but have not had the money to stop in. I never walk out of a WWstore without lightening my wallet. I'll hit a drug store for mineral oil, we have one on every corner here, and banks.

Reply to
BErney1014

You can pretty much always find mineral oil at a drug store, but it may be expensive compared to the gallon sizes at the BORG

John

Reply to
John Crea

Baby oil is scented mineral oil. I'd think you should be able to find some of that even in South Jersey. ;-)

Nova

Nova responds:

A quick check of drugstores should do it, even unto the unscented versions.

Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.

Charlie Self

You can get mineral oil at a good pharmacy (usually CVS is a good bet). They don't sell it at home centers or hardware stores. I know what you mean about the woodworking stores in South Jersey, but they wouldn't have it anyway. Did you know they opened a new Woodcraft in New Castle, Delaware? I don't usually buy from them but it is within driving distance.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

I used paste wax, but I wasn't dealing with orange peel.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

On 26 Feb 2004 18:52:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BErney1014) brought forth from the murky depths:

Walgreen, WalMart, K-mart, Rexall, Mom'n'Pop hardware, or whatever pharmacy you have locally should all carry mineral oil. OR Use a cabinet scraper and have it done in minutes without even building up a sweat. Here's one trusted source:

before you lay on that next coat, remember to pour the shellac through a fine painter's filter, use a clean (or new) brush (or pad), blow off (yourself) and tack-off the project, and don't stir up dust in the area when you're doing it (since it's obviously not a spray booth).

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:33:11 -0500, Nova brought forth from the murky depths:

You callous heel, you, Yack.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I used mineral oil because I could sand longer. It was very thin, not a problem, wish I'd saved the bottle. I can't scrape it smooth because the piece is a table base with turned legs. Baby oil = mineral oil, never knew that, add it to odorless spirits, sand in the living room while I watch TV, wife will love the new air freshener. ;-)

Reply to
BErney1014

Try using a card scraper. It will remove it much quicker and you'll have very fine control over the amount removed.

Reply to
WebsterSteve