low power drilling

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:31:41 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca scrawled the following:

Nah, just cut a foot wide strip, cut it out between joists, break off most of the top, and route or chisel it flat. No joist damage.

Oh, so you had access from the side? I don't believe you mentioned that. You just say you -didn't- have it from the bottom.

I love those four words together, in that pattern.

Yeah, it's called "flooring", clare. Some is screwed, some nailed, some nailed and glued, some screwed and glued. Here's the key point I was making: IT'S JUST WOOD. You can handle cutting wood, yes? ;)

Alright, so you're done. Good for you. How did you like the way the forstner worked?

-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. --Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Better yet, Carpenter Ants.

Reply to
LDosser

On 3/12/2010 12:47 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

No problemo.

You just owe me a free pass the next time *my* brain goes pfffffft!

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:09:39 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca scrawled the following:

Two strips from a piece of 3/4" ply = 1.5" thick ply, about $20 here. Your billdrit cost you more than that.

-- Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly. -- Thomas H. Huxley

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:20:38 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca scrawled the following:

OK, the final question is: Why did you even ask for help?

Sign me "Stunned at his reaction and attitude"

-- Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly. -- Thomas H. Huxley

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How are Richard and Karen's mother's sisters going to help with -this- problem?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

"This is your brain..... This is your brain on an air-hose. "

`
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

It worked very well, thank you. Would have worked better if it was sharp (it was a borrowed well-used bit)

Reply to
clare

I just asked which kind of bit would require the least amount of power, making it the easiest to do the job.

Sorry you don't like my attitude, but I wasn't asking how to do the job. I was just asking what tool to use. It had already been decided for me that the job needed to be done without tearing up the decking, and I can't help it if some people cannot read or grasp the reality of what was written. I though I had explained the setup adequately in clear enough language - I guess, from the replies, I was wrong.

Reply to
clare

You can't go AROUND the decK?

At the expense you're looking at, you could build a nicely trimmed valence box of some kind to hide the cable

I guess routing a couple channels into the deck wouldn't work either?

Reply to
jbry3

I'll explain it again - ONE more time. The situation is this: A company I do a lot of work for is moving into a new office. The building was set up as a training center, with a theatre room in it. They need office space, not a theatre. The stage area was removed, and the lower level of the 2 raised seating areas was also removed, leaving the back third of the room raised about 17 1/2 inches above the concrete floor. We have electricity and data cables available at the edge of this raisedplatform that need to go to the center of the platform. There are walls on 3 sides Concrete on 2. Finished hallway on the other side. The only way into the space under the platform is from the front - from the room side of the platform. It is a solid wooden "beam" made out of 2X8 lumber, stacked 2 high.. There are a number of these, running across the room, parallel to that front edge, extending from the floor to the deck, at right angles to where the cable needs to go...

Removing the carpet and routing in channels might have been an option, but with power cables you need to be something like 2 inches down or covered with steel to protect the cable from nails etc.

The best way seemed to be to drill through the "joists" and pull in the cables.

I asked what kind of drill bit would take the least power to do the job - I had found s "speed-bor" type bit jammed when breaking through

- and since I had to break through several times did not think it was the best solution.

Nobody gave me an answer about forstner vs auger. I did more research, and then got hold of a forstner bit and found it worked well - connected to 12 feet of 1/2 inch water ppe to reach all the way in..

I cut an access hole in the deck where we will be installing a "theatre box" ftom the removed stage to feed the cables through up to the workstatoions being set up on the raised platform (6 workstations with power, phone, and network cables for each) and tied a string to the extension after removing the bit to pull the cables in with.

I'll be installing the cables early next week.

Reply to
clare

Teeth?

Reply to
LDosser

Karen could have SUNG the damned hole into it. I was way up in the cheap seats at the Jacksonville Coliseum when her mike died. She still managed to make herself heard. That was a _big_ hall with lousy acoustics. Shit, I get all maudlin every time I think about her.

Reply to
J. Clarke

used to work in the pile driving business, had to bolt piles together for breakwaters, welded the 1" bits onto 4-5' rods. 1 person would hold the centre of the rod to keep the wobble down. will take some work to keep the holes lined up straight because of the spaces between the joists will allow the bits to drop.

Reply to
Al

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:56:16 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca scrawled the following:

Had that been made clear, we wouldn't have replied as we did.

Ah, but you _didn't_ write that part.

To avoid having people rethink the problem for you, state your reason for not doing it x, y, and z ways in your initial request. The more info given, the less there is on which to misinterpret or ad-lib.

Glad you got it done.

-- I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain. -- John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 14:01:38 -0600, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) scrawled the following:

Mandibularly, my dear Watson.

-- I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain. -- John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

RE: Subject

Lesson learned.

Wait until snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca has made at least 3 responses to others before considering a post.

Hopefully, but then they will be a complete description of the problem.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:30:04 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

You ADMIT to going to see The Carpenters in concert, you brave and foolish person?

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:03:49 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

Yeah, a -lot- more came with each reply, didn't it?

-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

dropped about 3 inches in 12 feet.

Reply to