Loose tenon joinery

Shhhh, not so loud! ....

:)

Reply to
Swingman

According to Bob Smalser

the others are repairable with epoxy. No data on whether they are repairable with themselves.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Thanks for that info. Does that mean that epoxy melts into them or reactivates them in some way? Or just because epoxy will adhere to plastic?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Epoxy degrades with heat and UV. In either case, under humidity cycling I could see the layer of wood immediately next to the glue failing.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

"Expensive" is a relative term.

Last time I bought a gallon of TB-II it was about $20.

I don't pay even close to $20/gal for epoxy, but then I buy it in 500 lb (55 gal) drums.

Retail, a gallon of epoxy is probably about $60 these days.

Somehow, I think the cost of the adhesives used in a project gets lost when compared to the cost of any of the following:

1) Wood 2) Finishing materials 3) Hardware.

BTW, slow hardener and laminating epoxy resin will give at least 30 minute open time @ 75F which is a whole lot more than TB-II.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As I said, " Long after the wood has returned to compost, epoxy and resorcinol will still be there, thus what's to repair?, and that includes the conditions described above

As for heat degradation, by the time the epoxy is softened, the wood will be scorched.

If you are going to use epoxy as a coating, then UV protection is required.

If you are going to use epoxy as an adhesive, no UV protection req'd since only the outside edges of the joints are exposed.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

IOW, 3 times the price, and much more in smaller quantities ... nuff said. :)

Reply to
Swingman

3 times the price for equal quantities: however, 3 times a small total cost percentage is still a small total cost percentage.

Nuf said

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Advise, LOL. IMHO the more mortise and tennon joints you use the stronger the project joints will be. The easier it is to create loose mortise and tennon joints the more you will use them.

Buy a Domino NOW!

Reply to
Leon

Just that epoxy will adhere to the previous glue. And it's gap-filling, which helps if the previous joint members have been deformed slightly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Wow! you missed my sell point by $25. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Well, considering how much you've used yours lately, you must be getting really sick and tired of it. So, I'll help you out and offer you $100 for yours including the vacuum. Hell, I'll even pay the shipping to me up here in Canada.

Reply to
Upscale

RE: Subject

Think biscuits.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Where do you get retail pricing like that?

As a point of reference Lee valley sells epoxy for about $40/quart

C & S

Here, for one...

dadiOH

Almost anybody who is in the epoxy business.

Try System3 for example.

Obviously not in the epoxy business.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:27:09 -0500, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

I wish I still had that link I saw eons ago. It had a video of all the joint types (dowel, loose tenon, biscuit, integral m&t, lap, miter, etc.) being tested with strength charts afterward.

Here's one newer destructive test site:

(totally bogus, IMHO)

Much more scientific. I wish they had shown the data for pinned (but not glued) m&t joints.

As usual, a lot of variation comes from loose fit, so remember to fit your tenons (loose or integral) snugly for the best durability.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques