Looking at buying a RAS

Sonny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I should e-mail the seller and ask him to set the clock, so I can see if the time's accurate. If I'm going to use the Radio Alarm feature, an accurate clock is a must.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Which model, specifically? There are some DW that are quite old but were just homeowner models I'd not pay much attention to; otoh, some of them were "the real mcCoy"...

Secondly, for what purpose do you envision using it? I suspect the utility you'll get will be in large part on what else you already have and what you plan on doing going forward.

I've an old 16" one which I use for length-cutting and heavier work that isn't nearly as simple to move the work thrue the TS and that it doesn't have the capacity for. I've the room to have it set up in a long bench with 8' either end for permanent support and the full barn length alleyway in one direction if needs be. As long as I've the room I'll never let it go, but it isn't the primary in terms of amount of use by any stretch--but when it's needed, there's nothing else that can touch it. It's heavy enough that it is, and stays, in adjustment.

As Leon, my first was one of the small 10" DeWalt's and I used it exclusively for quite some time before buying the TS (I waited 'til could afford the PM Model 66). It was adequate, but underpowered and lightweight so took a fair amount of fiddling to keep it aligned. But, there are things that are fair simpler w/ a RAS as compared to the TS just as vice versa...

Reply to
dpb

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

It won't be my primary tool for cutting, but I do have the room to dedicate to it (I think.) I've seen some shop designs where they put the SCMS and RAS next to each other, so both tools share the same work space. It would be nice to set the RAS for a dado cut and SCMS for cut-off duty, especially on this next project.

Cross-cutting dadoes is really my biggest thing. I figure for what I put into a RAS, if it makes the next project easier then doesn't get used much afterwards it'll probably be worth it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I know a guy named Mike Wilson... He plays hockey. Any chance you'd happen to be the same guy? (If 4-4, 3-3, 9-0, 4-1, mean something to you, shoot me an e-mail.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Well that sounds like a good plan! I cut lot's of dado's so a dedicated machine would be nice. Keep in mind however that it is seldom that plywood comes in uniform thicknesses any more so you will still have to tweak your set up.

Reply to
Leon

dpb wrote in news:losja6$kgr$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

I don't know what model it is. The seller didn't get a clear shot of the model/info label, and hasn't sent me that information. It's a 9" model, looks to be pre-AMF:

I think it's either a GS or MBF, but that's only from looking at pictures on vintagemachinery.org.

The project I have in mind is cutting decorative dados in 4x4s for a deck. It's a hassle to do it on the table saw (with a sled), so I figured for the $100 or so a RAS sells for around here I could make that part of the project much easier. You couldn't rent one for that.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Sorry. Not the same guy.

Reply to
Michael

Of course no one can say whether he'd be held liable or not (courts can do just about anything - and do) but in reality, that's what liability insurance is for and why I carry a million dollar umbrella. It may not cover someone burning their lip on a cup of coffee but it will get the insurance company interested in defending me.

Reply to
krw

On 6/30/2014 4:44 PM, Puckdropper wrote: ...

Wasn't really aware ofomh there was an actual 9" version, that'll be fairly limiting in depth if a 10" blade really won't fit, but it's the solid-carriage design and as long as it's not obviously just falling off the rails for the price couldn't lose I'd guess.

Ayup, those are the kinds of things the RAS beats pants off TS for--where it's so much easier to move the saw than the material.

Go for it...

Reply to
dpb

Anyone can sue. ...for pretty much any fool reason.

Reply to
krw

Sorry for my post, Puckdropper. In my mind, I was thinking Miter saw, not RAS.

Reply to
Bill

Sadly, you are too true. (and the houses are not) The best houses I've seen over the last 20 years are the "factory built" houses they bring in on a number of flatbeads and erect with a crane. Generally they are DEAD SQUARE.

Reply to
clare

----------------------------------------------------------------------- First things I would want to know is there enough threaded arbor to accept an 8" stacked dado set?

Are there adequate clearances to accept an 8" stacked dado set?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Even though you were thinking about the wrong tool, there were useful suggestions in your post. Checking the cord is a good suggestion, and worn bearings could indicate the tool is more of a project than a ready-to-use tool.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On 6/30/2014 8:40 PM, Bill wrote: Snip

As the late great Roseanne Anna Danna used to say, That's different!, Never mind. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Ya left out a "rose" ;)

Grant Edwards

And you meant Emily Litella

What is all this fuss I hear about the Supreme Court decision on a "deaf" penalty? It's terrible! Deaf people have enough problems as it is!

Reply to
Grant Edwards

DAMN! Your are right! I don't recall her name being that at all.....

She was a GREAT comedian and was one of many that made the early SNL a great success.

Anyway Rosanna....

Leon

One of the funniest things I ever saw was a whole house that was framed with all the verticals except the corners half a stud off from one end to the other. Obviously two "framers" working together. One centering on the mark, and the other butting up to the mark. I had sent one of my guys over to prewire it for alarm and sound, and we had half a dozen boxes or so to mount for various things like keypads, volume controls, sounders, etc. My guy had bought a bundle of door shims and shimmed every one of our boxes so they were level. When the house was done every other box in the house was crooked. LOL. Switches, outlets, even the thermostats.

Reply to
Bob La Londe