Long ranger 3 220 v

Long ranger 3 220 v open original image

i have long ranger that stopped working after 10 yrs . no power when i press remote but i can hear a click sound in the box after unplugging it and plugging it back. not sure if relays are shot but if ID them (help ) my be they can be fixed or replaced ...new LR3 do not have same capacity for HP as old ones which were rated at 3 HP max. I was using it with a 3.5 motor. thanks for any help .

Reply to
kaspar48@msn.com

Well, Kaspar, This isn't an instantaneous help line, or an AI. There is no need to post the same question three times in a row. Be patient, on usenet it may take several days for someone to care enough to reply.

As it happens, if you search on amazon, you'll find a 30A 220VAC remote switch for less than two double sawbucks. You'll need to wire it yourself, but it comes with a wiring diagram. It is not complicated, both current carrying conductors must be interrupted by the relay.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I admittedly have little to no expertise with this, but I would check the "start up" capacitor, if there is one. I believe that you must physically remove it in order to test it. I paid $60 for a voltmeter to check capacitors a few years ago (cheaper voltmeters didn't have the ability to check capacitors--you have to look carefully for this feature). Or you could simply replace the capacitor and be done with it, and move on to the next possibility (testing switches? -- again, a voltmeter might be convenient, but not strictly necessary). Recall that you don't need to attach high voltage to the motor in to check "continuity" and that capacitors hold their charge! If necessary, learn some of the ways to "discharge" a capacitor before you tinker with this. That's probably the most valuable suggestion that I have to offer.

Reply to
Bill

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com snipped-for-privacy@example.com wrote in news:173db0522f069cda$185$607463$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsgroupdirect.com:

Have you tried the device directly plugged in?

The relays have a bunch of numbers on them. You're likely interested in the top number, 832-1A-C for a replacement, but that TV-5 also looks like it might be important. If that relay model isn't available, you can try matching pinouts and ratings, but that's much harder.

If a 220V device, try turning the long ranger on and measure between line

1 and ground and line 2 and ground. You should get ~120V on both legs. If you don't, that would point to where your problem is.

If any of this doesn't make immediate sense, please seek professional help or replace the device. Electricity can bite and bites hard and has a unique property that it will still work despite being done wrong-- possibily lethally wrong.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The exact relay is available on ebay. Several vendors have stock. Browse, but don't google, using the part number. Enjoy nearly instant gratification.

Steve

Reply to
shiggins

I thought you were telling us a tall tale with a less than $20 remote starter for 220 Volt equipment. So I looked on Amazon, and Nope. I found what you are referring to. I would make an extension cord with this remote control box in the middle. Live power in one cord with the 3 prong on the end. Switch box in the middle. Then switched power out another cord with the female receptacle on the end. Just make a short 4 foot cord. Plug it into the outlet box and the dust collector into the other end. Pretty simple. Only knowledge you would need is how to wire up an outlet. Only wiring problem is if you are running 2 hots to get 220 volts, you would also run a ground wire too. Ground is always included in wiring. You would have to connect the grounds together outside the remote control box. Does not appear they put any extra room inside the remote control box for connecting the grounds inside. That would look bad and might not be too legal either.

russellseaton1

"two double sawbucks" == $40.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal