locked bandsaw bearings

One bandsaw bearing has locked probably because of sawdust. Any tips how to free it up again? Cheers T.

Reply to
Tana

Ummm... wheel bearing? motor bearing? Blade guide bearing?

My crystal ball is in the shop, can ya give me a little help here??

Hint.. if it's a blade guide bearing, throw it away and replace it...

Mac

mac davis

I doubt it's caused by sawdust. Most of those type bearing are sealed (but not watertight) and sawdust - shouldn't be the problem. But you can try removing it and spray/soak it in some WD40 (or mineral spirits) to clean it then let it soak in some light weight oil to lubricate. That would be a temporary fix if it works - so plan on getting a replacement.

In an emergency, I have placed a sealed bearing in an old, small pan, dumped in enough oil to cover the bearing and then heat the whole works up (warm only) and let it sit for about 30 min to cool and suck in some oil. Do not apply to much heat. Some bearings have a plastic disc shield and will distort if it gets to hot. If that is visibly shot already that means the bearing heated up and its toast - replace it.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I get the message. Cheers Tana.

Reply to
Tana

Replace it. Bearings are (almost always) easy to find - go to a _real_ bearing supplier, take it along, and they're so highly standardised you'll probably have one off the shelf in minutes.

Replace it with a better quality one too, with dust shields that work.

Reply to
dingbat

good advice but I might have go at cleaning the old one... for an emergency of course. Cheers T.

Reply to
Tana

Tana.. this is going to sound "off the wall", but try taking it off and putting it back on "backwards"... they're usually the same on each side and reversing it (I did this when the blade scored mine) also reverses the rotation... might free it up??

Mac

mac davis

I tried the backwards thing and there was a scratchy bit of turn so I'm soaking in DW40 (as Bobs suggeted earlier) at moment and give another go later. Cheers T.

Reply to
Tana

Nope that didn't work either. Down to the tool shop next step. Thanks for all your help, Tana.

Reply to
Tana