Little Wizard II metal detector seems to suck - your opinion?

I borrowed my friend's Little Wizard II. It hardly seems to work at all. I've got an edge band around my router table screwed into place. If I hold this device right on the surface where I know the screws are, I can detect them. Most of them. It seems like it'll only detect through about

1/4" of wood, maybe 1/2" if I already know where to look, and that's with the sensitivity screw dialed up as high as it will go without perpetually signalling.

I didn't replace his battery, but he told me he thought it was still good. Would a weak battery make any difference to how well this thing could detect metal? I'm not going to risk my blades after assessing wood with this thing, so I'm wondering if the Wizard III (the larger one pictured on the above website) could do the job well. I've got a pile of reclaimed pine with thicknesses as large as 2" strong to assess.

What have your experiences with metal detectors been?

Thanks.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Weak battery was my first thought even before you mentioned it. Yes, that could do it.

Reply to
CW

I have the Wizard III and it works great as long as you don't forget to shut it off and let the battery run down.

I wish it had and auto shutoff.

Reply to
Tom H

I've got the Little Wizard and have found quite a few nails with it, but if I'm trying to get usable stock from pallets or other used lumber, I still make my initial cuts with a $5 harbor freight blade. Incidentally, while I've hit -and cut- some nails, the blade is still OK and hasn't lost any teeth.

Reply to
lwasserm

Since you know where the metal is, change the batteries, try it out, then get back to us. Thanks,

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

IMHE none of the Wizards are any use. They certainly can detect things, but they seem unreliable. If you move the wand around relative to the target then the indication comes and goes. Some of this is inevitable, but the Wizards were too poor to contemplate using seriously.

I use a mil surplus mine detector. Cheaper too.

Reply to
dingbat

Tried a new one. Same experience. Junk. I don't like being that direct but I have to tell it like it is.

Reply to
tdup2

Okay, I just bought a new battery and tried it out. Pretty much the same result, except the sensitivity set screw seemed to work a little better.

Even with the new battery and fiddling with the set screw I couldn't detect every screw I put into my router table's edge band. I'd be surprised if any of the screws were more than 3/8" below the surface. I started to wonder if they were using cheap Hall effect sensors so I had to pop it open. Nope; there's a pair of coils on a coil form inside. But it's so poorly mounted you're probably losing at least 1/4" distance to the coil just to get through the case.

Surprisingly it worked much better after I put it back together. But its performance is so poor I'm doubting even the Wizard III has a chance of working well enough for me. I was trying to be smart by being willing to pay money for a commercial product designed for the job. I succeeded in being smart by trying before buying. But there it will end; I'm likely going to try making one now instead.

Guys, thanks for confirming my results, however disappointing they may be.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Buy a Bounty Hunter! I've had one for 3 years and it works fine, up to about

Reply to
Brian