Metal Detector for Woodworking

I use a fair amount of reclaimed lumber, so it is important to find all the nails, screws, staples, etc. before I run the wood through my power tools.

I currently have a Lumber Wizard 3. It works but often seems finicky, so I'm never real confident it has found the metal in the wood. For starters, it has a large 12" wand, but it seems only the 3" or so at the tip really does anything. I also have to adjust the fine sensitivity a lot, a hassle that requires a small screwdriver. On several occasions the thing just sits there blinking the lights back and forth and no amount of adjustment has any effect. I almost threw it away last time I used it because I thought it was finally broken.

Are there better metal detectors available that are more accurate and easier to adjust when needed?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

HerHusband wrote in news:XnsA4ECE3A4FA778herhusband@213.239.209.88:

The little one I have (I think it's a Little Wizard II) works pretty decently, within reason. It doesn't always pinpoint the exact location of a screw or nail, and only penetrates down a short distance. To make sure I don't hit any nails, it takes a combination of the detector and my eyes to check everything.

If I was working with a lot of reclaimed wood, I'd probably be buying cheap saw blades and looking at Shelix cutters for the jointer and planer. Hit a nail, rotate/replace the piece of carbide that chipped. It's still a pain, just not a big one in the wallet.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I have one of these:

I haven't tried it for your application, but it's easy to use and claims to find metal 4" inside a solid surface. I have been able to trace conduit and BX inside a sheetrock wall as well as find sheetrock screws under compound. You set the sensitivity simply by pressing the button nearer or further from a metal object. IOW, if you press the button in the middle of the air, it will set the unit to be very sensitive. But once you think you've found an object, you can press it again an inch or so away from it. That will set the unit to be less sensitive, and will pinpoint the object more precisely.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Is that the same as the Wizard III?

I specifically bought a Wizard III for a project where the client wanted a table made from old, reclaimed lumber. I removed hundreds of pieces of metal with out a single mishap.

I've used occasionally since then, and it has always done the job.

Reply to
joeljcarver

I too have it. It is finicky and a piece of junk.

I have seen pro detectors used in airports. Pricey, but probably worth the price.

Reply to
woodchucker

One could always use a metal detector. Some small models are likely well capable for wood. See what you have to buy what you can.

White is a good name and there are others.

Mart> >> I use a fair amount of reclaimed lumber, so it is important to find >> all the

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

i have something like this but it has a thumbwheel to calibrate it i calibrate each time i use it

it is very sensitive and it does find the metal but only if i calibrate and test it

Reply to
Electric Comet

I have a Woodwizard III. As far as I know, it's found every brad, staple, and nail, even in thicker pieces. The on/off switch has gotten a little janky, but with a little messing around it seems to work ok. I've had it for quite a few years now.

Reply to
Michael

i think a better unit is needed and would be a welcome addition to the market maybe an ultrasound unit that would also detect rocks

Reply to
Electric Comet

There are absolutely better ones on the market now, you just cant afford them.

Reply to
Leon

no kidding i have not seen any that detect rocks or ceramic insulators but i will go look

Reply to
Electric Comet

You might google x-ray.

Reply to
Leon

haha ultrasound would be much safer

i did view a video recently where a guy got a used luggage scanner he does electronics videos and is from the u.k.

he got it working and you are right that would work for wood and would take a nice sized log

takes up a lot of space though

Reply to
Electric Comet

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Recommendations? I have only heard one recommendation so far.

I have the Lumber Wizard III. When it works, it's great. Unfortunately, it can be finicky to start up and I have to tweak the fine tune adjustment every time I turn it on. Sometimes it won't work at all and just sits there blinking the lights. Is this really the best the market has to offer right now?

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

like others here mine works fine once you understand it is touchy but maybe yours is broken

if you are a tinkerer why not take it apart and have a look maybe something has come loose inside or the like

Reply to
Electric Comet

not sure what they cost but they have evolved pretty far over the years so might be a good choice

Reply to
Electric Comet

could be bulky and power hungry and probably not even effective

Reply to
Electric Comet